Smile of the Week
4th Time's a Charm
Last updated: Jul 31, 2013
A reporter from the local TV station in Erie, Pennsylvania, interviewed an 80-year-old woman who had just gotten married for the fourth time. He asked what it felt like to be marrying again at 80 and then about her new husband's occupation.
"He's a funeral director," she answered.
"Interesting," the reporter thought. He then asked if she'd mind telling him a little about her first three husbands and what they did for a living.
She paused for a few minutes, needing time to reflect on all those years and memories. After a short time, she smiled and answered proudly that she'd first married a banker when she was in her early 20s, then a circus ringmaster when she was in her 40s, a preacher when she was 66, and now, in her 80s, a funeral director.
The reporter looked at her, quite astonished, and asked why she had married four men with such diverse careers.
She smiled and explained, "I married one for the money, two for the show, three to get ready, and four to go."
- The Junk Wars: 8 Ways to Get Rid of Aging Parents' "Stuff"
- Know Thy Father: A Guide to Dad's Day
- Don't Wait for a Doctor's Visit to Test for High Blood Pressure
- 8 Spring Pick-Me-Ups for Tired Caregivers
- 10 Feel-Good Dementia Caregiver New Year Resolutions
- How to Say Thank You to a Caregiver This Thanksgiving
- Mom Far Away? Cool Gift Ideas, and Yes, There's Still Time!
- World Alzheimer's Day and Why People With Alzheimer's Need It
- Secret Cure for Deadly Stress: Taking the Team Approach
- Prescription Medications Cost Too Much? Here's What to Do