Unforgettable Mother's Day Gifts for a Mom Who Forgets
Last updated: Apr 30, 2008
Stumped for ideas beyond flowers and chocolates for Mother's Day?
If your mother, grandmother, or godmother has dementia or Alzheimer's, look no further than this thoughtful list from Alzheimer's Daily News. That blog is part of the Ageless Design company, which also runs The Alzheimer's Store, one of the most comprehensive resources out there on products for people with Alzheimer's or dementia and their caregivers. It was founded by gerontologist-architect Mark Warner, who personally evaluates everything sold: wandering alarms, memory stimulation tools, aids for daily living, and more -- including, of course, gifts.
Some basic giving guidelines:
- Consider what brings pleasure now (music, TV classics) and what areas are giving her trouble (for example, if pushing the TV remote buttons is hard, switch to a simpler model).
- Select items that are failure proof and can instill a feeling of success (like a phone where you press the picture of the person you want to talk to, no numbers to recall).
- Stick to simple, easy-to-understand gifts (skip the complex gadgets, however senior-friendly, in favor of, say, a clock that shows the time and date together).
Don't forget to mail your Mother's Day cards on time (or to help her send some): A first-class letter stamp goes up a penny to 42 cents on Monday, May 12, 2008. Which brings up another gift possibility: A roll of 1-cent stamps and new custom stamps featuring her photo, at the new rate. How will you celebrate Mom?
- Know Thy Father: A Guide to Dad's Day
- Don't Wait for a Doctor's Visit to Test for High Blood Pressure
- 8 Spring Pick-Me-Ups for Tired Caregivers
- 10 Feel-Good Dementia Caregiver New Year Resolutions
- How to Say Thank You to a Caregiver This Thanksgiving
- Mom Far Away? Cool Gift Ideas, and Yes, There's Still Time!
- The Junk Wars: 8 Ways to Get Rid of Aging Parents' "Stuff" (and Your Resentment Over Having to Deal With It)
- World Alzheimer's Day and Why People With Alzheimer's Need It
- Secret Cure for Deadly Stress: Taking the Team Approach
- Prescription Medications Cost Too Much? Here's What to Do