Yummy Soft Foods For Seniors
Summer fruits and vegetables are filling markets, which is a gold mine for seniors who can only eat soft foods. (Conditions that can affect chewing and swallowing include stroke, spinal cord or brain injuries, Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s, and cancer.)
If you're caring for someone who's on a soft diet, summer brings an abundance of nutritious, mashable, blendable, juiceable, puréeable fresh produce -- at decent prices. Don't trust your ability to prepare soft meals? No worries. The other good news is that today’s soft diet experience is far from those culinary dark ages of applesauce, pudding, and blah mashed potatoes.
What about zucchini pesto quiche, lime-strawberry slush, poached coconut-ginger salmon, orange scented carrot soup, or sherried beef sirloin tips? Recipes for these and many more yummy-sounding recipes are found in the growing body of soft diet cookbooks that take bland entirely out of the picture.
Take a look at these four books, which get great consumer reviews and include nutritional information and cooking tips. Sure, they cover summer treats like tropical fruit smoothies and fresh vegetable soups. But they're filled with four seasons worth of soft-dining pleasure.
- Easy-to-Swallow, Easy-to-Chew Cookbook: Over 150 Tasty and Nutritious Recipes for People Who Have Difficulty Swallowing. (By Donna L. Weihofen, JoAnne Robbings, and Paula A. Sullivan)
- The Dysphagia Cookbook : Great Tasting and Nutritious Recipes for People With Swallowing Difficulties. (By Elayne Achilles)
- I Can’t Chew Cookbook: Delicious Soft Diet Recipes for People With Chewing, Swallowing, and Dry Mouth Disorders. (By J. Randy Wilson)
- One Bite at a Time: Nourishing Recipes for Cancer Survivors and Their Friends. (By Rebecca Katz, Marsha Tomassi, and Mat Edelson) Not exclusively soft foods, but includes some wonderful soft recipes.
Image from Flickr User poldavo under a Creative Commons attribution license.
- The Junk Wars: 8 Ways to Get Rid of Aging Parents' "Stuff"
- 8 Spring Pick-Me-Ups for Tired Caregivers
- 10 Feel-Good Dementia Caregiver New Year Resolutions
- World Alzheimer's Day and Why People With Alzheimer's Need It
- Prescription Medications Cost Too Much? Here's What to Do
- How to Find a Doctor Who Listens - and Cares
- Five Signs It May be Time to Break Up With Your Doctor
- Having Surgery? Protect Yourself From Dangerous Blood Clots
- Has a Pre-existing Condition Kept You From Getting Insurance? Now It's Yours
- How to Get Real, Practical Help From Your Doctor When You Need It