Last updated: May 23, 2008
Trying to figure out how to pay for nursing home care in this country can be a major headache. Jayantibhai Patel's father would certainly agree.
Mr. Patel, of Foster City, Calif., allegedly hit his 81-year-old father over the head with a hammer in what local authorities are saying may have been a misguided attempt to get his father admitted into a nursing home.
"He was under a belief, we don't know why, that you can't go straight into a nursing home without being in the hospital," says Steve Wagstaffe, San Mateo County's chief deputy district attorney, in the San Francisco Chronicle
But Mr. Patel wasn't entirely incorrect, according to blogger Felicia Curran. Under Medicare regulations, government health insurance will pay for nursing home care -- but only after a three day stay in the hospital.
As she explains in her post at the Elder Neglect Blog, "there was a method to his madness. Nursing [homes] charge hundreds and hundreds of dollars a day, something out of the reach of the average person. Medicare, however, will pay for up to 100 days in a nursing home, but only if the patient comes to the nursing home from a three-day stay in a hospital."
So is assault with a deadly weapon the only path to Medicare-covered nursing care? Obviously not, but there's no denying that the rules and regulations of the government health insurance program are sometimes baffling.
Luckily, there's help navigating the Medicare maze. Before you start rifling through the tool chest, check out these Caring.com resources:
- Medicare Part A: A Beginner's Guide
- Medicare Part B: A Beginner's Guide
- Medicare Part C: A Beginner's Guide
- Medicare Part D: A Beginner's Guide
- Enrolling in Medicare Programs
Image courtesy of Flickr user ZoofyTheJinx under the Creative Commons licensing agreement.
- Know Thy Father: A Guide to Dad's Day
- Don't Wait for a Doctor's Visit to Test for High Blood Pressure
- 8 Spring Pick-Me-Ups for Tired Caregivers
- 10 Feel-Good Dementia Caregiver New Year Resolutions
- How to Say Thank You to a Caregiver This Thanksgiving
- Mom Far Away? Cool Gift Ideas, and Yes, There's Still Time!
- The Junk Wars: 8 Ways to Get Rid of Aging Parents' "Stuff" (and Your Resentment Over Having to Deal With It)
- World Alzheimer's Day and Why People With Alzheimer's Need It
- Secret Cure for Deadly Stress: Taking the Team Approach
- Prescription Medications Cost Too Much? Here's What to Do