Activity of the Week
Take a Virtual Vacation
Last updated: Aug 13, 2012
Can't get seem to get away? Sometimes life makes hopping on a plane or booking a two-week holiday a bit of a challenge, but that doesn't mean you can't plan a virtual vacation. Enjoy the foods, tour the sites, and even dance to the music -- right in your own home.
What you'll need:
After you choose a location to virtually visit, hop on the Internet to gather your "intel," or go to your local library. You might know someone who's been there and will share books and other materials.
Why it's great:
- Research can be fun, whether it's online or in your own community.
- Every family member can offer something unique and discover a different way to collect their goodies, so divvy up the fun.
- You're expanding your experiences and your knowledge base -- without leaving home.
- It's a multimedia, multisensory experience. You can include music, food, movies, and friends.
How to do it:
- Choose your location, and get your family to help. Ask for ideas. Make a list of choices, so everyone contributes.
- Look up recipes, or buy a bottle of wine from the region. Don't forget music (you can download most songs on iTunes for just 99 cents).
- Check out trivia, such as how far away it is from your home, historical events, places you'd visit, and a few oddball facts to keep things interesting.
- Don't forget dressing up: What about a sombrero for Mexico, a red scarf for Spain, or a makeshift hat or costume?
- Your virtual vacation can last a meal, a day, or a week. Plan a final celebration and ask everyone to share what they've learned or collected. Invite a few guests. Rent a movie filmed in that location to round out your evening.
- Make a Model
- Lampshade Art
- Whittling and Wood Carving
- Visiting Small Museums
- Ice Cream Social
- Activity of the Week: Handprint Art
- Stones for Wise Words
- How Do I Love You?
- Thoughtful Downsizing
- Historical Tours
- S'more Cookies
- Take a Virtual Vacation
- Volunteer at Your Local Polling Place
- Make Your Own Fragrant Body Butter
- Toilet Paper Roll Art