Activity of the Week
Last updated:October 22, 2012
Lampshades are a home staple, but they're also a canvas just waiting for your creativity. This project doesn't take much (if any) cash, but it does give you the opportunity to be artistic. You can cover a lampshade with fabric paints or pens, a favorite scarf or material, black-and-white photos, doilies or handkerchiefs, sea shells or sequins. Or simply write your favorite quotes around the rim; a shade is the perfect place to express yourself.
What you'll need:
- A variety of art materials -- photos, postcards, doilies, a scarf, leftover material, sea shells, stickers, decals, book pages, ping-pong balls, ribbons, fabric paint, chalk paint, sequins "“ whatever strikes your fancy
- Fabric glue or a hot/cold glue gun
Why it's great:
- Caregivers and their loved ones spend most of their time indoors, and "doing up" a lampshade is a small but impressive way to spotlight your style without breaking your budget.
- Creative activities ignite our brains. We feel alive when we're putting our spin on an idea. It lights up parts of your brain that sorting meds, changing sheets, and switching the laundry just don't touch.
- Each lampshade offers a new opportunity. No two need be alike.
- Projects that can be completed in a short amount of time provide lots of satisfaction.
How to do it:
- Choose a lampshade, give it a wipe with a damp cloth, and let dry.
- You may want to leave your lampshade on its stand, but unplug it, take the out the bulb, and cover the electric area with something to prevent any drips from glue or other items from getting in.
- Decide what you'd like to cover your lampshade with -- anything that can be glued or painted on is a possibility (see the list of ideas above). Just make sure the items you choose won't impede light or be damaged by heat.
- Decide whether your items are best applied with fabric glue (you can water it down a bit and apply it with a sponge or paintbrush), or if you should use a hot/cold glue gun.
- Attach your items, let dry, and enjoy!