Activity of the Week
Fishbowl Air Freshener
Last updated: Jun 26, 2012
If you have trouble keeping a goldfish alive, why not fake out your family and friends with a faux goldfish bowl that's also an air freshener? It's a fun bathroom or kitchen item and makes a great gift.
What you'll need:
- A small (4-inch) goldfish bowl
- A teaspoon, water, polymer water crystals (found at garden or floral stores), essential oil, food dye (optional), a few drops of nonscented dish detergent
- Some underwater items, such as artificial goldfish (dollar stores or craft stores have them), shells, fake water plants, castle, mermaid, and other playful items
Why it's great:
- It's a practical and fun craft. (Just think about all the unattractive, nonwhimsical air fresheners you've bought!)
- They make good gifts. Make one to share with your local senior center or give to a friend.
- You get to arrange it the way you want. Ditch the fish and just do shells. Add a tiny castle or mermaid.
- Embrace your silliness and have fun with this project. It smells good, and people think the fish are real!
- You can add more essential oil and water as needed for an instant refresh.
How to do it:
- Fill the bowl up to the neck with water. Note how much water you used.
- Add a few drops of food coloring (if desired).
- Add one teaspoon of essential oil plus one drop of dish detergent. Stir. Adjust scent to your liking.
- Add one teaspoon of crystals per cup of water. Stir again. Wait one hour for the crystals to absorb the water. The gel should be clear and fairly firm.
- Add shells, goldfish, and other items (placing what you want on the bottom first) by pushing them down to the bottom with a teaspoon.
- Tie with a bow if it's a gift or simply place anywhere you like.
- Add water and a few drops of essential oil when needed.