How to Use Public Benefit Programs to Help Pay for Adult Daycare

alzheimer's activities
All Rights Reserved

Several different public benefit programs might help pay for adult daycare for your loved one. Consider these:


If your loved one has low income and few assets (other than the home he or she lives in), the state's Medicaid program might pay for a certain amount of adult daycare at a Medicaid-participating facility. To find out about Medicaid eligibility and coverage for adult daycare in your state, contact the state's Medicaid agency by going to the online directory for state Medicaid agencies or to your local Area Agency on Aging.


The Program of All-Inclusive Care for the Elderly (PACE) provides comprehensive home and community care -- including extensive use of adult daycare -- for frail elders who would otherwise require nursing home care. However, PACE is only available in certain areas of some states, and eligibility is restricted to low-income older adults, usually those eligible for both Medicare and Medicaid. To see if there's a PACE program operating where your loved one lives, and to learn how to contact the program, see the Medicare official website's list of PACE programs.

Tip: Help with Medicaid or PACE -- For help with questions about Medicaid or a PACE program's coverage of adult daycare, you can get free, expert counseling at a local office of the State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP) or Health Insurance Counseling and Advocacy Program (HICAP).

Veterans' benefits

Adult daycare is included in the health benefits offered to veterans by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). If your loved one is a veteran who qualifies for VA medical benefits and who needs long-term care, he or she may be eligible for free services at VA-run adult daycare centers.

Also, if your loved one is a veteran or the surviving spouse of a veteran and has low income, some monthly cash benefits may be available from the VA, which can be used for any type of care, including adult daycare. And if your loved one is housebound, these benefits may be even higher.

Learn more about other ways to pay for adult daycare.

Joseph L. Matthews

Joseph Matthews is an attorney and the author of numerous books, including Social Security, Medicare, and Government Pensions, Long-Term Care: How to Plan and Pay for It; How to Win Your Personal Injury Claim; and The Lawyer Who Blew up His Desk. See full bio

over 2 years, said...

@Teey, Sorry to hear about your mother-in-law's conditions. Our family advisors are available by phone to help you find home care: (800) 325-8591 The referral service is free. We also have some information online here: The searchable directory of agencies includes consumer ratings and reviews of local providers. We also invite you to share about your experiences in our online support groups:

over 2 years, said...

I am looking to find help for my Mother In Law for Alzheimer and Brittle Diabetes. Ultimately I am seeking in home care in the daytime with some night coverage although not necessary. Can anyone help on here to start? Thanks

over 6 years, said...

My 87 year old father, who is in the middle stages of Alzheimer, has greatly benefited from the Adult Daycare Center. He interacts with other people, participates in all the activities, which is a great difference from the days he would just sit in one corner and sleep all day. However, we have been notified that these Centers are in the process of being closed. As of today, there are still many unanswered questions about the support that will be available to assist seniors and families impacted by the changes to ADHC. I know there are currently discussions being held in regards to how to assist families, but nothing final yet. I am really surprised that this has not been a "news item". I know many families have written to their local representatives, state and federal representatives. Do you or your readers have any other suggestions as to what action can be taken to prevent this injustice?