V.A. Home Modification Grants

home modification
All Rights Reserved

What V.A. home modification programs are available?

The V.A. has three main programs to provide home-modification grants to veterans with certain severe service-connected disabilities.

Specially Adapted Housing (SAH) grants. An SAH grant is intended to help modify a home to make it wheelchair accessible or otherwise "barrier free" for certain veterans whose service-connected disabilities make it impossible for them to live independently without such modifications. An SAH grant can be as much as $63,780.

An SAH grant is available to veterans who receive V.A. service-connected disability compensation for permanent and total disability due to:

  • Loss or loss of use of both legs to the extent that the veteran cannot walk or otherwise get around independently without braces, crutches, canes, or a wheelchair.

  • Loss or loss of use of one leg together with another disability that affects balance or the ability to walk or otherwise get around without braces, crutches, canes, or a wheelchair.

  • Blindness in both eyes, plus loss or loss of use of one leg.

  • Loss or loss of use of both arms.

Special Home Adaptation (SHA) grants. An SHA grant helps pay to modify a home to meet the needs of a veteran with a certain type and level of disability and who needs assistance with safe mobility around the house. An SHA grant for such modifications can be as high as $12,756.

Note: This SHA grant may be available to a veteran who is or will be temporarily residing in a home owned by a family member, for modifications to that home.

An SHA grant may be available to a veteran with disability compensation for permanent and total service-connected disability, including:

  • Blindness in both eyes (5/200 visual acuity or less).

  • Loss or loss of use of both hands or of arms below the elbow.

Home Improvement and Structural Alteration (HISA) grants. A HISA grant provides funds for home improvements necessary for a disabled veteran to have access around the house and to essential lavatory and sanitary facilities. A HISA grant is available to a veteran who has received a medical determination by the V.A. that alterations to the home are necessary or appropriate for the effective treatment of the disability or for access. A veteran may receive both a HISA grant and either an SHA or SAH grant. The rules for HISA grants -- what they cover and what they don't -- are complicated and require participation by the person or company that will be doing the home alterations.

Note: A HISA grant is available to a disabled veteran even if the disability isn't service-connected.

HISA grants are for up to $4,100 for a veteran whose disability is service-connected, and up to $1,200 for a veteran whose disability isn't service-connected.

How can I apply for a V.A. Home Modification grant?

You apply for an SAH or SHA grant by filling out V.A. Form 26-4555 and submitting it to a V.A. regional office.

You apply for a HISA grant by filling out an Application for Assistance and submitting it to a local V.A. medical center.

Where can I get help applying for a V.A. Home Modification grant?

The V.A. provides specialized information and assistance about housing modification through its Specially Adapted Housing Agents, available in each state.

For general assistance with any V.A.-related question or problem by phone or in person, contact a V.A. Vet Center or V.A. Veterans Benefits Administration office. The V.A. also has a toll-free telephone help line at 800-827-1000.

Joseph L. Matthews

Joseph Matthews is an attorney and the author of numerous books, including Social Security, Medicare, and Government Pensions, Long-Term Care: How to Plan and Pay for It; How to Win Your Personal Injury Claim; and The Lawyer Who Blew up His Desk. See full bio

5 months, said...

Making my home livable is a concern for me and my family I cannot work no longer and am 100% Permanent and totally disabled due to my TBI Residuals, can I get some sort of grant to help in paying for a new roof before the water getting in will destroy home with mold over time fairly quickly unless a new roof is installed on my home?

6 months, said...

I am 100% permanent due to copd, am i eligible to receive a (SHA or a SAH) grant from the va based on my breathing conditrions

about 1 year, said...

Hello Paulajomayo, will the HISA provide for bathroom renovation and voice activation for the home?

over 1 year, said...

I'm a 100% service connected disabled vet.My wife and I just purchased our home an the bath rooms a ketchin area are to small for me to maneuver around. I have already feel getting out of the tub. I had no idea about the grants that are being afford what do I do.

almost 2 years, said...

The HISA grant process has changed in the past year, making it a much easier process for the Veteran! Approval in as little as 60 days! The amounts have also increased - $2000 and $6800. I have quite a bit of information. Feel free to let me know if I can answer any questions for you. Thank you for your service!

almost 3 years, said...

Why would a program take so long to decide if a veteran of any war or branch qualifies for any of this assistance? This is uncalled for in every way!!

over 3 years, said...

I take care of a disabled Vietnam vet who has been treated so bad by the VA that he is she'll shock about hospitals now. He needs medical care badly cuz recently he lost his leg do to gain green. The prosthetic they gave him he barely can walk on with out it he can't walk at all he has no balance. I think he is allergic to the thing they gave him to keep his prosthetic on. Needless to say it caused a recurring sore also he has diabetes so I stay worried the sore is bigger than a half dollar it doesn't want to heal I d k what to do. He lives alone in an apartment without his independence he would be miserable so any advise would be helpfull. When they cut his leg off they did it wrong and he has had problems every since. Thank you

almost 5 years, said...

Great, concise information for Veterans...just a small correction: On May 5, 2010 the President signed the Caregiver and Veterans Omnibus Health Service Act of 2010, increasing the amounts available under the HISA grant to $6,800 for service-connected disabilities, and $2,000 for non-service connected disabilities...I design and build about 10 of these projects per year...should anyone need information regarding the program(s) please feel free to contact me by e-mail.

over 5 years, said...

I am now in the stage of forgeting things that i need to do . If i want to do something Ihove to do it right away .

about 6 years, said...

This is so hard!! It is killing me to watch my mom die this slow terriable death! She does not deserve this!! I get emails from people who want $ to research this diease but they are going about it all wrong.... How PLEASE someone tell me how you can do a trial on mice? How do you know they have alztimers?

over 6 years, said...

i have been diagn. terminally ill and the va doctors are taking there time to produce the paper work to make it possible for me to get the hisa grant i so need for modif. andto expitidite the claims i hav been waiting on for 3 years. i believe they are waiting for me to expire so they wont hav to pay or give me wat im eligble for.

over 6 years, said...

I am a severely disabled veteran in need of help with the grant process . I will repeat myself I am SEVERLEY DISABLED veteran I NEED help with the entire process. Because I am SEVERLEY DISABLED,In need of HELP with every part of the process!!!

over 7 years, said...

Very helpful site. Good info and active links. Thanks