A stroke can turn a family's entire world upside down. A person who once lived independently suddenly may need help with everything, from swallowing and speech to going to the bathroom. How much care someone will need after a stroke isn't always obvious at first, but knowing what challenges may be ahead can help you cope with that uncertainty.
What is a stroke? A stroke can be ischemic or hemorrhagic -- ischemic stroke is from a blood clot, and hemorrhagic is from a ruptured blood vessel.
To diagnose a stroke, a variety of tests may be needed. Here are some of the commonly used methods for stroke diagnosis.
10 questions to ask after a stroke. Is there is a recovery timeline after stroke? What is the prognosis after stroke? Get answers to aide in stroke recovery.
More About Stroke
- Diet and Stroke
- Stroke Websites
- Care After Stroke
- 7 Tips for Improving Mealtimes After a Stroke
- After a Stroke: The First Days to Weeks
- Toileting Tips for Stroke Survivors
- Making Someone's Home Safer After a Stroke
- Dressing a Stroke Patient
- Stroke Recovery: Outpatient Rehabilitation
- 10 Ways to Prevent a Stroke
- Read more articles about Stroke…
- My mother had a stroke 2 weeks ago will her mental state improve??
- How to help my mother at home after her stroke?
- What kind of care does my wife need after stroke ?
- Is confusion normal at night for stroke survivors, and will my father get better in a skilled nursing facility?
- Where does the blockage go after a stroke?
- After several strokes, my uncle's behavior is inappropriate -- what can we do?
- Can a stroke lead to blindness?
- How Do You Treat a TIA, and Does Having a TIA Increase the Risk of a Bigger Stroke Later?
- How does Chemo cause stokes?
- Are there online stroke support groups?
- Read more questions about Stroke…
- Chance Of Recurring Stroke
- Mom had a stroke three days ago - what should we expect next?
- Mom feels like she can't breathe when she's eating!
- Wealthy Stepfather Won't Spend A Dime Toward Our Mother's Stroke Recovery
- Am I Doing The Right Thing By Putting Her In A Home?
- Caring For A Spouse With Dementia
- Confused & Need Help
- After Mom's stroke, she thinks Dad is still alive. Dementia or stroke related?
- What should we expect from post-stroke rehab?
- 10 Years Since Dad Had A Stroke And Mum Took Her Life
- Read more discussions about Stroke…