A stroke can turn a family's entire world upside down. A person who once lived independently suddenly may need help with everything, from swallowing and speech to going to the bathroom. How much care someone will need after a stroke isn't always obvious at first, but knowing what challenges may be ahead can help you cope with that uncertainty.
To diagnose a stroke, a variety of tests may be needed. Here are some of the commonly used methods for stroke diagnosis.
Strokes affect thousands yearly. Know five common types of foods whose ingredients cause physical damage that directly increase the risk of stroke.
What is a stroke? A stroke can be ischemic or hemorrhagic -- ischemic stroke is from a blood clot, and hemorrhagic is from a ruptured blood vessel.
More About Stroke
- 10 Questions to Ask After a Stroke
- Stroke Websites
- After a Stroke: The First Days to Weeks
- Care After Stroke
- 7 Tips for Improving Mealtimes After a Stroke
- Making Someone's Home Safer After a Stroke
- Stroke Caregiver Support
- Stroke Recovery: Outpatient Rehabilitation
- Toileting Tips for Stroke Survivors
- Dressing a Stroke Patient
- Read more articles about Stroke…
- Is confusion normal at night for stroke survivors, and will my father get better in a skilled nursing facility?
- What kind of care does my wife need after stroke ?
- My mother had a stroke 2 weeks ago will her mental state improve??
- How Do You Treat a TIA, and Does Having a TIA Increase the Risk of a Bigger Stroke Later?
- How does Chemo cause stokes?
- After several strokes, my uncle's behavior is inappropriate -- what can we do?
- Can a stroke lead to blindness?
- Are there online stroke support groups?
- What's the difference between TIA and stroke?
- My grandfather had a stroke and now cannot move his hand. What do we do?
- Read more questions about Stroke…
- Chance Of Recurring Stroke
- Caring For A Spouse With Dementia
- Mom had a stroke three days ago - what should we expect next?
- Mom feels like she can't breathe when she's eating!
- Wealthy Stepfather Won't Spend A Dime Toward Our Mother's Stroke Recovery
- Am I Doing The Right Thing By Putting Her In A Home?
- Confused & Need Help
- What should we expect from post-stroke rehab?
- After Mom's stroke, she thinks Dad is still alive. Dementia or stroke related?
- 10 Years Since Dad Had A Stroke And Mum Took Her Life
- Read more discussions about Stroke…