(800) 973-1540

Where can I find Dr. Fordyce's article on dehydration and dying?

1 answer | Last updated: Jun 29, 2010
daddys1pa asked...
My mother is 93 and dying. Where can I obtain the article from Dr. Fordyce about "dehydration and dying" that he wrote? Where can I find your answer to this question?

Answers
Barbara Repa, a Caring.com senior editor, is an attorney, a journalist specializing in aging issues, and the author of WillMaker, software enabling consumers to...

An article titled "Dehydration Near the End of Life" was originally published in the Annals of Long-Term Carein 2000—Volume 8, Issue 2. Unfortunately, the archives of the publication’s website See also:
5 Most Surprising Reasons to Drink Water
do not go back that far. So if you are intent to find that particular article, you may need to go through your local library or university medical school.

More recently, the Annals published "Nutritional Deficiencies in Long-Term Care," which you can snag online.

There are also some helpful tips on this site for preventing dehydration.

Finally, you may also get good targeted information on dehydration during the end of life from a local hospice provider. You can locate one through the National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization.

You should receive an individual email response to this question from Caring.com—and can also find it posted online at our site.