When is the Nexium patent expiration?

LucasCharms asked...
When is the Nexium patent expiration?
For this question:

Answers
MalindaF42 answered...

The patent for the acid reflux medication Nexium expires in May of 2014. AstraZeneca, the manufacturer of Nexium, has granted the generic drug maker Teva, a license to start producing a generic form of the medication to be sold in the United States after this time. This protects AstraZeneca from immediate threats to infringe its best selling drug which netted the company over $14 billion in its first five years of production.

Not rocket science, Nexium is the same molucule as Prilosec, with the inactive portion of the molucule cleved. SAME active ingredient! You can get OTC omeprazole (Prilosec) for pennies a tab.

Nexium is the same molecule, but the other entantiomer of the molecule (S). Omeprazole (Prilosec) is the R enantiomer, and has a lower bio-availability. It may be the same molecule, but esomeprazole is a higher efficiency molecule than omeprazole.

queentut answered...

I have had Gerd disease for years. Prilosec doesnt nothing to relieve my symptoms. But nexium works woderfully. Same with my mother. Care givers do not know as much about an illness has a person that actually has it. Dexalant and Nexium are the the only two effective drugs on the market for true Gerd disease.

JPCIII answered...

I have had severe acid reflux for years and have tried and been prescribed every prescription and OTC medicine ever made . My condition is also known as pre Barretts's esophagus . It's a condition that can lead to throat/ esophageal cancer . The ONLY medicine that has worked 100 % of the time is Nexium . Nothing else can come close and Nexium helps repair the lining in the esophagus caused by the acid . I can't wait for a generic because right now I have to pay 50 bucks out of pocket for every 30 day / 40 mg bottle !!!

I WISH I only paid $50 per 30 days. With my previous employer's insurance plan (Anthem BC) I paid $530/90 days - that was MY out-of-pocket cost. With my current employer's plan (Cigna), the cost is $670 per 90 days (again - that's MY cost). Needless to say, I am looking for alternatives until this thing goes generic. I have LIVED on Nexium for years under better insurance plans. It is a life saver for me. Nothing else works. I titrated up to Nexium when I was in my early 20s, over 15 years ago. My GI doc recently had me try Dexilant, as a cost-effective alternative, and it completely ravaged my stomach - i.e., it changed my "upper GI" problem into a "lower GI" problem, if you know what I mean. It caused violent stomach cramps/pains, and I was literally planning my activities around my proximity to a toilet. I thought I had food poisoning until it turned into a week later and beyond. Once i finally realized what I had recently changed (the Dexilant vs. Nexium), I stopped the Dexilant and it took another 2-3 days to leave my system. It may work for some people, but for me it was as horrible as Nexium is great. Bottom line - for severe GERD sufferers, there is absolutely NOTHING like Nexium. I am thrilled to see that I only need hold out for less than a year before it becomes considerably more affordable!

Full dispensed price for 30 days in Australia is AU$45 with Government subsidy AU$36.10 Pensioners $5.90. What are you Americans doing? Fly to Australia see the sights get 12 months of meds fly home and still save $$$.

I've been on Nexium for years now for GERD. It's truly the best out there for my problem. We ran out of medical flex money mid-December and decided to just Xantac our way (DH needs it, too) to January 1. BIG mistake. I read about Prilosec being "just like" Nexium and added that right around Christmas. Within a couple of days, I thought I had a horrible stomach bug. For over a week. Quit the Prilosec a day or two ago, switched back to Nexium last night, and I feel completely better again. I have to wonder if the Prilosec was doing to me what the Dexilant was doing for a commenter above! Our drug prices went up this week, too (albeit not as horrible as some listed here. So sorry for you guys!) , so I, too, am counting down to the generic date. However, Nexium's site has a coupon making eligible (anyone on non-state insurance, for the most part) prescriptions only $18 a month! I wonder how long that's been there? And why did I never look before, even though my child is on a med that has a coupon for it?? Oy! But give it a try! It's worth seeing if you qualify for the coupon while we wait for May!

I recently found the Nexium coupon which says "$18/month" - yeah, right...it depends on your insurance and how much you pay. My insurance just upped my co-pay from $550 for 3 months supply to $620 for 3 months. You can imagine my shock. I went to the Nexium website to find information to complain about the price and found that "coupon". What it actually means to me, is that they will reimburse you (max) $50/month for the 3 month supply so $150 in total - I will take that and have filled out my form and mailed it in. I CANNOT wait until this goes over the counter. The other types of this product are in the $25/month range. I agree - as a severe GERD sufferer, nothing compares to Nexium...but why they have to bleed me dry to pay for it, I don't know...

I have true GERD and have been on all the possibilities. Nexium is the only one to help me.

If we could get rid of the horrifically high pay out for lawyers via lawsuits, we might have drugs priced like elsewhere. Notice, I said lawyers - they are who benefit from all these class action lawsuits.

weisssoccermom answered...

Be careful how you use the coupon. Go to the Nexium website and search for their patient copay assistance card. You can't be on govt sponsored healthcare....i.e. Medicaid, Medicare or Tricare ( you can be a govt employee though) and it will reimburse you for up to $50/30 day script. However, be aware that IF you fill a 90 day script, it will ONLY pay $50. So, fill your prescription for 30 days (you can't use the coupon with mail order though) and get $50 off with each monthly fill. News just out that effective May 27, 2014...Nexium will be going generic. Remember that it may still be expensive but, if your insurance has a flat rate for generics...you win!

AgFox answered...

I have had GERD for over 40 years and also have Barret's esophagus. I agree Nexium is the best and had been using it for at least 20 years (2x 40mg caps a day the last 2 years). With my insurance my copay is $70 for 90 days via mail order or $105 local pharmacy. But being on Medicare Part D the cost is $630/90 against the Part D gap.... So I began to experiment with Prilosec again and have found that 40 mg twice a day is working almost as well as Nexium, ie very little difference. I pay $0.00 for 180 caps with $51 being charged against my Part D.... OTC Omeprazole (Prilosec) is not cheap($27/30 days) and is not sold in 40 mg doses...is much cheaper for me to go via Rx. So I am doing just fine on omeprazole (40mg) and I still have 180 capsules of 40 mg Nexium I haven't used...