(800) 973-1540

When is the Nexium patent expiration?

LucasCharms asked...
When is the Nexium patent expiration?

Answers
MalindaF42 answered...

The patent for the acid reflux medication Nexium expires in May of 2014. AstraZeneca, the manufacturer of Nexium, has granted the generic drug maker Teva, a license to start producing a generic form of the medication to be sold in the United States after this time. This protects AstraZeneca from immediate threats to infringe its best selling drug which netted the company over $14 billion in its first five years of production.

Not rocket science, Nexium is the same molucule as Prilosec, with the inactive portion of the molucule cleved. SAME active ingredient! You can get OTC omeprazole (Prilosec) for pennies a tab.

Nexium is the same molecule, but the other entantiomer of the molecule (S). Omeprazole (Prilosec) is the R enantiomer, and has a lower bio-availability. It may be the same molecule, but esomeprazole is a higher efficiency molecule than omeprazole.

queentut answered...

I have had Gerd disease for years. Prilosec doesnt nothing to relieve my symptoms. But nexium works woderfully. Same with my mother. Care givers do not know as much about an illness has a person that actually has it. Dexalant and Nexium are the the only two effective drugs on the market for true Gerd disease.

JPCIII answered...

I have had severe acid reflux for years and have tried and been prescribed every prescription and OTC medicine ever made . My condition is also known as pre Barretts's esophagus . It's a condition that can lead to throat/ esophageal cancer . The ONLY medicine that has worked 100 % of the time is Nexium . Nothing else can come close and Nexium helps repair the lining in the esophagus caused by the acid . I can't wait for a generic because right now I have to pay 50 bucks out of pocket for every 30 day / 40 mg bottle !!!

I WISH I only paid $50 per 30 days. With my previous employer's insurance plan (Anthem BC) I paid $530/90 days - that was MY out-of-pocket cost. With my current employer's plan (Cigna), the cost is $670 per 90 days (again - that's MY cost). Needless to say, I am looking for alternatives until this thing goes generic. I have LIVED on Nexium for years under better insurance plans. It is a life saver for me. Nothing else works. I titrated up to Nexium when I was in my early 20s, over 15 years ago. My GI doc recently had me try Dexilant, as a cost-effective alternative, and it completely ravaged my stomach - i.e., it changed my "upper GI" problem into a "lower GI" problem, if you know what I mean. It caused violent stomach cramps/pains, and I was literally planning my activities around my proximity to a toilet. I thought I had food poisoning until it turned into a week later and beyond. Once i finally realized what I had recently changed (the Dexilant vs. Nexium), I stopped the Dexilant and it took another 2-3 days to leave my system. It may work for some people, but for me it was as horrible as Nexium is great. Bottom line - for severe GERD sufferers, there is absolutely NOTHING like Nexium. I am thrilled to see that I only need hold out for less than a year before it becomes considerably more affordable!

Full dispensed price for 30 days in Australia is AU$45 with Government subsidy AU$36.10 Pensioners $5.90. What are you Americans doing? Fly to Australia see the sights get 12 months of meds fly home and still save $$$.

I've been on Nexium for years now for GERD. It's truly the best out there for my problem. We ran out of medical flex money mid-December and decided to just Xantac our way (DH needs it, too) to January 1. BIG mistake. I read about Prilosec being "just like" Nexium and added that right around Christmas. Within a couple of days, I thought I had a horrible stomach bug. For over a week. Quit the Prilosec a day or two ago, switched back to Nexium last night, and I feel completely better again. I have to wonder if the Prilosec was doing to me what the Dexilant was doing for a commenter above! Our drug prices went up this week, too (albeit not as horrible as some listed here. So sorry for you guys!) , so I, too, am counting down to the generic date. However, Nexium's site has a coupon making eligible (anyone on non-state insurance, for the most part) prescriptions only $18 a month! I wonder how long that's been there? And why did I never look before, even though my child is on a med that has a coupon for it?? Oy! But give it a try! It's worth seeing if you qualify for the coupon while we wait for May!

I recently found the Nexium coupon which says "$18/month" - yeah, right...it depends on your insurance and how much you pay. My insurance just upped my co-pay from $550 for 3 months supply to $620 for 3 months. You can imagine my shock. I went to the Nexium website to find information to complain about the price and found that "coupon". What it actually means to me, is that they will reimburse you (max) $50/month for the 3 month supply so $150 in total - I will take that and have filled out my form and mailed it in. I CANNOT wait until this goes over the counter. The other types of this product are in the $25/month range. I agree - as a severe GERD sufferer, nothing compares to Nexium...but why they have to bleed me dry to pay for it, I don't know...

I have true GERD and have been on all the possibilities. Nexium is the only one to help me.

If we could get rid of the horrifically high pay out for lawyers via lawsuits, we might have drugs priced like elsewhere. Notice, I said lawyers - they are who benefit from all these class action lawsuits.

weisssoccermom answered...

Be careful how you use the coupon. Go to the Nexium website and search for their patient copay assistance card. You can't be on govt sponsored healthcare....i.e. Medicaid, Medicare or Tricare ( you can be a govt employee though) and it will reimburse you for up to $50/30 day script. However, be aware that IF you fill a 90 day script, it will ONLY pay $50. So, fill your prescription for 30 days (you can't use the coupon with mail order though) and get $50 off with each monthly fill. News just out that effective May 27, 2014...Nexium will be going generic. Remember that it may still be expensive but, if your insurance has a flat rate for generics...you win!

AgFox answered...

I have had GERD for over 40 years and also have Barret's esophagus. I agree Nexium is the best and had been using it for at least 20 years (2x 40mg caps a day the last 2 years). With my insurance my copay is $70 for 90 days via mail order or $105 local pharmacy. But being on Medicare Part D the cost is $630/90 against the Part D gap.... So I began to experiment with Prilosec again and have found that 40 mg twice a day is working almost as well as Nexium, ie very little difference. I pay $0.00 for 180 caps with $51 being charged against my Part D.... OTC Omeprazole (Prilosec) is not cheap($27/30 days) and is not sold in 40 mg doses...is much cheaper for me to go via Rx. So I am doing just fine on omeprazole (40mg) and I still have 180 capsules of 40 mg Nexium I haven't used...

A2tonelion answered...

What is sad is Astra Zenaca has a generic pill available in the Philippines for 1/2 the cost of prices in the U.S.. I have had GERD and erosions for 20 years, have had 3 surgeries, but must have the Nexium daily. If I miss my dose by more than 6 hours, it takes another 6 to get comfort again. Still no Barret's though.

Like many who answered here, I found Nexium to be helpful where omeprazole was not. For those who are paying those huge out-of-pocket expenses, consider buying from a Canadian online pharmacy (do some homework to find a reputable one - there are a fair number of them). Example, generic Nexium, 40 mg, 90 tabs, $94.05 from Online Canadian Pharmacy (no, I don't work for them, but I am a Canadian ex-pat)

One of the people who posted above is correct about the Isomer and the bioavailability. I sold both Prilosec and Nexium. They both work well. Prilosec healed about 92% of patients. Nexium--about 95%. For the money, buy over the counter Prilosec.

I've been using Nexium since 2000. I went through trials of other medicines and Nexium was the only one that worked. My older brother also had acid reflux and because he didn't buy the Nexium because of the price, he eventually got esophageal cancer and died from it. I'm hearing a lot of complaints about the price. The company that manufacturers it had to pay for the research and development of the drug. They also have kept the price down to the lowest that they could afford to sell it for. Nexium is an expensive drug to make. It has hundreds of tiny sugar beads that are coated with the drug and then coated with varying amounts of an acid resistant finish on each bead so that the drug is released over twenty four hours this combined with the chemical compound itself is expensive. Do I blame Astra Zenaca for my brother's death? No, my brother made a decision to not get treatment and rely on antacids. It was his own fault for not taking care of himself properly. As far as Astra Zenaca is concerned, It is good that such companies research and develop new drugs. If they could not make a profit then why should they do it? Prilosec was also invented by Astra Zenaca.

I think most reasonable people would not argue that a company needs to make a profit from their wares. Rather, the question is, what is a fair profit versus what is gouging? An amount of Nexium that costs $23 in the Netherlands costs $213 in the US (see http://www.moneynews.com/MichaelCarr/AstraZeneca-drug-US-Nexium/2014/04/23/id/567168/) - this is the exact same drug!. I find it hard to believe that AZ would sell it in the Netherlands at a loss. That being the case, why is it that Americans pay almost 10 times the price? That does not support the position that they have "kept the price down to the lowest they could afford to sell it for."

I have had an hiatal hernia since the '70's. I was treated with a number of products back then and years later I was put on Prevacid. Prevacid worked GREAT! BUT......it did not heal acid erosions. One PA told me he would NOT give me my Prevacid RX until I tried Prilosec for 2 weeks. I WAS MISERABLE! My head felt 10 times its normal size and I prayed fervently every day for it to explode (which it didn't). He finally gave me my Prevacid back but refused to see me until the end of the 2 weeks. My endoscopy showed that the hernia was one big open wound that would not heal. The GI doc put me on Nexium at that point (I think it was around 2000) and I have felt great ever since. I had a new endoscopy done fall of 2013 and the erosions are TOTALLY HEALED. I am now disabled and on a fixed income. Even with insurance I have to pay $45 a month or mail order $125 for 90 day supply. This is not my only expensive med and I can't afford all of these high co-pays. I don't understand why we are able to sue so freely here in the US causing our meds to cost so much more where other countries have much lower costs as there aren't so many frivolous suits. I CANNOT eat without my Nexium! Even my 5 yr old granddaughter suffers so badly that one lung began collapsing after one weekend of severe GERD due to allergies. I do not want to end up in her situation and neither should anyone else. I really feel for those that have to suffer the high cost and would love to have my cost but if I were still working my co-pays were $15 month. I can't wait for the generic but I will try it VERY carefully. Many RX have other issues once they become available as a generic (ALL high blood pressure meds make me cough until I pass out if it is a generic). So, even though the cost may come down please take it one day at a time until you know if it will work for you. Like many of you I am anxious for the generic. It is now June 20014 but I have not found a pharmacy with a generic available just yet. Good luck to all of you and hope we can all get relief medically and financially soon.