What do I do when blood sugar high?

1 answer | Last updated: Apr 10, 2014
I have type II diabetes and need to know what to do when my blood sugar too high (not dangerously) at that time, and it is too soon for medications and a meal? I have had foot surgery and cannot go for a walk.

Answers
Caring.com User - Theresa Garnero
Theresa Garnero is clinical nurse manager of Diabetes Services at California Pacific Medical Center in San Francisco.

If your glucose is too high, and you cannot lean on the exercise department to help lower it, then the next step is to discuss medication options with your healthcare provider. The pain associated with surgery could be the cause for your higher glucose levels. Once you are back on your feet, your medications would be adjusted again.

Make sure you stay hydrated by drinking enough water and keep your pain controlled. That will help your glucose levels by preventing dehydration and reduce the potential glucose spikes associated with pain.