(800) 973-1540

What is the shelf life of Levaquin?

cheeseburgerlvr asked...
What is the shelf life of Levaquin?

Answers
GayM68 answered...

If you seem to have any Levaquin or any other antibiotics for this matter left over from your course, you have not taken it correctly. These prescriptions are given on the basis that you will take the complete course even if you are feeling better. This then allows your body to create a resistence to the drug if used in the future. Speak to your doctor for more information.

nick123 answered...

Yes this is true. However, sometimes good doctors when there is a persistent problem, for example, seeing a specialist for UTI's, will prescribe an extra prescription. I had a great specialist who prescribed me an extra prescription that I haven't had to consider using for over six years now because he stated the drug has a lengthy shelf life, and only recently have had to consider using it. So as I see your point please just answer the question and save everyone the lecture!

Onthego answered...

My doctor gives me a prescription for Levaquin when I am about to travel to a remote area of the world where the chance of digestive/respiratory problems is higher. If I don't get seriously sick, I don't use it, so the question of shelf life is very important in this case. The earlier pat answer (also posted on another site) sounds like it comes from a drug company.

Onthego answered...

After my answer earlier today I did some "research." Web searches for "Levaquin shelf life" mostly take you to on-line pharmacy sites with no information - but lots of offers to sell you the stuff without a prescription (that I don't recommend). I did find one useful article about Cipro shelf life in Biosecurity and Bioterrorism: Biodefense Strategy, Practice, and Science, Volume 10, Number 2, 2012, pp 182-187. It is in the context of government stockpiles for things like the anthrax scare. It appears from this article that the material does not change into something dangerous with time (some pain medications do) but it does slowly lose its potency. They defined the minimum requirement to be 95% bioavailability of the important stuff and tests showed that 88% of samples had at least 1 year beyond original shelf life, and the average was an additional 66 months. Shelf life does depend on storage conditions. They also quote the Israeli experience. They have sub-selected manufacturers, have controlled storage conditions, and are getting a 10 year storage life.

This is for Cipro, and I do not know if Levaquin is similar, but I am going to use this as a guide.