What is the difference between Nexium vs Dexilant?

1 answer | Last updated: May 21, 2013
ShermSpoon asked...

Answers
EBrunett67 answered...

Nexium and Dexilant are both prescription medications known as proton pump inhibitors, and are used to treat acid reflux and gerd. There are a number of proton pump inhibitors available, See also:
The Three-Question Medications Check-Up
and although theoretically they may be used interchangeably, often people, as I found in my own case, have more problems with side effects from some of them than with others. Unlike medications like Pepto-Bismol, which are taken occasionally to deal with occasional symptoms, proton pump inhibitors, if I understand my doctor correctly, are designed to be taken on a longer term sustained basis and should suppress all symptoms if they are taken regularly. Nexium is the brand name for esomeprazole magnesium. Dexilant is the brand name for dexlansoprazole. Dexilant contains the same ingredient as Prevacid, but Dexilant's time release formula has been changed so that it has both a sustained release mechanism and a fast release mechanism which the manufacturer says provides more immediate relief from symptoms. Prevacid's patent has recently expired and it is now available over the counter at comparatively low cost, but Dexilant has patent protection because of the change to its time release mechanism.