(800) 973-1540

How foods help gout pain?

shaq5055 asked...
What foods, if any, can relieve severe gout pain? Are there any foods that help prevents Gout from manifesting.

Answers
Caring.com User - Jane Andersen, DPM
Jane Andersen, DPM, is a board-certified podiatrist in private practice in Chapel Hill, North Carolina. She provides surgical and nonsurgical foot and ankle...

While there are no foods that have been proven to relieve symptoms of a severe gouty attack, there is some anecdotal evidence that tart cherry juice may be helpful. Food See also:
Does guided imagery really control cancer-related pain?
choices are extremely important in preventing attacks. It is important to avoid these types of foods:
"¢ beer "¢ wine (especially red wine), "¢ shellfish "¢ red meat "¢ cured meat "¢ olives "¢ sardines "¢ aged cheeses.
You should also speak with your physician about managing your uric acid levels with medication in order to avoid an attack.

When you are suffering from a severe attack of gout in the foot (the most common location is the great toe joint) you should see your podiatrist for treatment. Often oral medications such as anti-inflammatories or colchicine can be used. For even faster relief, a cortisone injection is most helpful

Catlady 335 answered...

I have gout. It runs on the female side of my family which I'm told is rare. I have participated in gout studies in the past and have learned a LOT more than what this lady is saying. There are several other foods to avoid, among them mushrooms and processed meats, especially weiners; chicken and turkey are marginal, fish is good. In the last study in 2007 I took febuxostat (then a research drug, now available by Rx) and switched from allopurinol to colchicine, which is a natural product found on prickly pear cactus. Allopurinol was the standard then, but it did NOT help, in fact it made my flares worse. Everyone immediately thinks "big toe" when they think of gout - but did you know that it also affects your most recently traumatized joint, such as an ankle, knee, elbow, hand or shoulder??? Case in point: this past June I had "trigger finger" surgery on my right hand. Three weeks post I had what I later realized was a full blown gout flare: heat and excruciating pain in fingers, thumb, and wrist, same exact symptoms as with broken toes, twisted ankle and hyper-extended knee in the past. Dr. couldn't help, he had NO idea what it was, just said "come back in a couple of months, you'll probably have to have more surgery". I woke up one morning thinking "gout". I took double doses of every gout med I had on hand - within 24 hours it was improved by 50% and now four weeks later is finally back to 85% of normal, except for some stiffness which goes along with arthritis, which gout is a form of. Arthritis of course can affect ANY joint, and so can gout. I suggest that folks with this condition read up on the subject and/or search the 'net - you want to find the diet that's called "purine-sparing" or the list of foods that contain large quantities of purine, which is one of the main causes of gout! By the way, I DO keep a natural, 100% cherry juice on hand and drink it regularly - and I think it just might help a little. The Mayo Health letter is a good source for gout data, you can also google the subject and find lots of useful info at 'net sites. I have a Dr. appointment coming up soon - I can't wait to bring him up to date on this "experience". I sincerely hope this will in some way help other gout sufferers - I know so well what kind of pain one has in a flare, that's why I've done (and keep doing) my homework on the subject! Thanks for the opportunity to write this - I wish all my fellow sufferers a life as pain-free as possible!

shadow420 answered...

I have had gout for over 40 years.flare-ups have supsided over time. The best treatment I have found is celery and lots of it.To releive pain during aflare-up take motrin not asprin. also make sure you have gout and not psyudogout, a rumotoligist can determ this by testing.