(800) 973-1540

What does a high level of LD Serum in blood work mean?

1 answer | Last updated: Aug 20, 2014
linddav asked...
I had a high level of LD Serum in my last blood test. What does this mean?

Answers

Lactate dehydronase (LD) is an enzyme that is present in many of your body's tissues and organs (like the brain, liver, heart, red blood cells, and muscles). When a particular See also:
8 Things Your Hair Says About Your Health
organ becomes stressed or ill, perhaps from something like a heart attack or liver failure, your LD serum level would rise, indicating a problem. However, since LD can come from many parts of your body, it is not a test that would tell you that you have a specific problem. Keep in mind that LD is also present in red blood cells, and LD can often be falsely elevated if the blood sample is damaged (like if the sample becomes hemolyzed). So, this test cannot tell you much alone. If you had other blood tests taken with the LD serum level, that would help give you more information. What I would recommend is that you speak to your health care provider about your concerns, so they can help you make sense of this lab result.