(800) 973-1540

What does a light blue ring around the iris of the eye indicate?

Marsha1947 asked...

Answers
Caring.com User - Lylas Mogk, M.D.
Lylas Mogk, M.D. is an ophthalmologist and director of the Henry Ford Visual Rehabilitation and Research Center in Grosse Pointe and Livonia, Michigan, and...

If the light blue iris ring you are seeing is at or near the margin between the iris (colored part of your eye) and the sclera (white part) and forms a large ring around that margin it is likely to be a deposit of cholesterol. It does not damaging to the eye and does not interfere with vision. This is very common in older individuals but if you are a young adult it may suggest high cholesterol. If the ring you are seeing is anywhere else on the iris other than following the outside margin, it should be checked.

Lylas Mogk, MD

I have the same thing on both of my eyes. but i have several rings. not just one. i was diagnosed with high cholesterol. its a little high. wow im glad to know there is nothing wrong with me...lol.

Marybeth717 answered...

I'm fairly young 42, & I have a blue ring around both eyes, however my cholesterol total is about 94 very low. Would you suggest I get this checked out for something other than cholesterol deposits?