(800) 973-1540

Why won't the doctor order a blood transfusion to boost low platelets?

My father, who's undergoing chemotherapy for colon cancer, has a very low platelet count and we're worried about bleeding. Why won't his doctor just give him a transfusion of platelets?

Answers
Caring.com User - Andrew Putnam
Andrew Putnam, M.D. is a Palliative Care physician at Smilow Cancer Center at Yale New Haven Hospital and Yale University.

Most doctors only give platelet transfusions in cases where the patient is actively bleeding and the blood won't clot. The reason is that this treatment is of limited benefit and See also:
How can I get the doctor to be more responsive when my mother has side effects from chemotherapy?

See all 202 questions about Chemotherapy
only lasts a very short time. The problem has to do with the life of the cells. Unlike red blood cells, which on average live about 120 days, platelets on average live only eight days. When you get a transfusion of blood from someone else, some of those cells are very old and some are brand-new, so you have to assume that the average platelet's going to last only four days. Then, when you figure in that they've been taken out of one body and put in another, and they've been frozen or stored, the estimate for the average lifetime of each platelet is even less than that—maybe just one to two days. So if your father is not actively bleeding, then the platelets may all die off before there's any real benefit. Your father would need another transfusion every few days to see any long-lasting effect. That's why his doctor is more likely to have him wait (and be careful not to cut himself) and see if his platelet count rises naturally.

FEW PEOPLE KNOW THAT YOUR BLOOD IS AS UNIQUE TO YOU AS YOUR FINGERRINTS ARE--WHY AGGRAVATE AN ALREADY COMPROMISED IMMUNE SYSTEM WITH A FORIEGN SUBSTANCE THAT IT MGHT HAVE TROUBLE REGECTING--THERE ARE AMNY OTHER ALTERNATIVES TO DO FIRST

My mothers platelets are very low. She had colon cancer and the doctor removed part of her colon. She is under Chemo and isn't getting any better. She is bruising badly. They said if her levels don't go up she will have to have a blood transfusion and she is against this. My mother is going to be 84 in July...I am so worried about her. Do you think it is possible that the cancer has come back? She has lost a lot of weight.Just wondering if you have a short time to live if you don't recieve the transfusion. Thanks for your support