(800) 973-1540

How can I stop the skin around my fingernails from peeling off?

dermy asked...
Tiny strips of skin just below my fingers nails start to peel off and it can get a little painful when that skin is rubbed against a surface of some kind. What problem I have and what should I do to get rid of this.problem. Please advice. Thanks in advance.

Answers
Caring.com User - Jessica Krant
Jessica J. Krant, MD, MPH, is a board-certified dermatologist specializing in medical, cosmetic, and surgical dermatology, including Mohs micrographic skin cancer surgery. In addition...

Peeling skin around the fingernails can mean a range of possible causes, from excessive hand washing without good moisturizing, to infection, to a more complex internal disease situation. Without knowing See also:
What does skin cancer look like?
your medical history or more about the exact description of what is happening (and without seeing it) it is hard to be precisely sure what is wrong.

If by "below the fingernails" you mean, on the tips of the fingers under the white, detached part of the nail, you may have a condition known as "dyshidrosis" which means the moisture balance in your skin is wrong. For this you need a thick hand cream to use at least 5 times per day, and to minimize water exposure.

If by "below the fingernails" you mean, by the cuticle, there could potentially be a low level chronic infection caused by yeast and moisture.

Either way, if you are uncomfortable, it would be a good idea to see a board-certified dermatologist in person to help identify what is wrong and to help you fix it.

Calcium is very good for that peeling around fingernail ....but i am sure also this is not the exact thing ,i feel this is something about Food Poverty...eating more cow meat,and liver better than any Tablet can help us,all the tablets also the natural one are have heavy side effect on body.

The overall result for peeling around fingernails: eating cow meat,eating Calcium in a natural thing look like milk, sea Vegetables,Lying in the sun.

My sister had this problem as a child, and it turned out she was allergic to chalk! (she was a piano virtuoso, and her fingers would actually bleed from playing too much - when they figured out about the allergy to chalk, and she quit using it, - never had a problem again!

jackiesh answered...

My fingers are doing that right now. I handled starfish for 10 minutes a week ago. They burned slightly for a couple of days and are now peeling like crazy. Like the chalk allergy, I would assume it's a starfish allergy.