Is there a test that can tell if you've had previous heart attacks?

Sherri asked...

Answers
Carolyn Strimike, N.P. and Margie Latrella, N.P. are cardiac nurse practitioners specializing in the prevention of heart disease and stroke. They have over 40...

Glad to hear you plan to go to the hospital if this ever happens again. The pain you have experienced in the past could be related to heart problems and See also:
7 Heart Attack Signs Women -- And Doctors -- Often Miss

See all 56 questions about Heart Attacks
should be evaluated. You may have been experiencing angina which is a warning sign of an impending heart attack. A heart attack causes permanent muscle damage and there are tests to identify past heart attacks. Some of the tests that may help identify past heart attacks include: electrocardiogram (ECG), nuclear stress test and an echocardiogram. You should discuss your symptoms and risk factors with your healthcare provider to determine which test would be appropriate for you. Do not wait - get it checked out! When you are experiencing chest pain your body is telling you "something" is not right and you need to pay attention.

RRC answered...

When I had my heart attack in 1999 I never had angina pain in my chest. I had pain in the back of my neck and both shoulders felt heavy. I had a warning one day which I ignored and a week later I had a heart attack. I can tell you from experience suspected angina pains should be checked out right away by going to the E.R.or seeing a cardiologist. If I had sought imediate care I might not have the heart and circulation problems I now have. This advice is for someone who is not now on nitro. If taking nitro follow the 5 minute rule and if still having problems then have someone take you to the ER. RRC

pop truax answered...

Sherri everybody is different when it comes to signs of a heart attack. Your signs sound as though you may have some type of heart prob. There some different test to determine if you have had A heart attack.You need to discuss them with a good heart specialist. In the mean time, you might go to a webb site,named web md, they can help you find a lot of information to help you. Take care & may God bless & keep you safe.

devotedmom/wife answered...

to RRC, what was "the warning" the week before your attack? I am afraid that I may be having some of the symptoms mentioned, however, an ECG/EKG, (one of those heart tests)came back fine, according to my doc. I HAVE NOT been feeling "like myself". As someone who has experienced a heart attack, can you give me some advice and/or suggestions? THX

RRC answered...

To devotedmom/wife: I know now the pains I had were a warning. My wife wanted me to go straight to the ER but I was pig headed. They can also test your blood to tell if you are having a heart attack. I would suggest you go to a good cardiologist and see if they will put a heart monitor on you for 24 hours. A monitor can tell a lot. Keep after them. Seems doctors don't want to do much for you anymore. Good luck,RRC

They used so say a typical symptom, especially in men, was denial that there was anything going on with the heart.

jbee answered...

I have had a few episodes of spasms in my throat & chest that last between 2-5 minutes. They feel like air pockets that are moving around inside of me. They only happen every once in a while. Could this be related to my heart. I have no history of heart trouble yet but my family has a history of it. I have high cholelsterol and take cholesterol medicine. Has anyone had similar symptoms. Thanks.

Harish123 answered...

For me, I had pain on both the arms fo rthe whole day, a week before I got Heart-attack. right at the joints also some mild chest pains. I thought this was something like a regular pain because of improper sleeping postures or something else.

This is a big symptom, somebody who are facing this should be aware and watch doctor immediately and take their prescription.

Nothing to ge worried as it is just a health issue, this can be corrected from there too.

Regards Harish