(800) 973-1540

What's the Best Way to Deal With Swollen Feet and Ankles?

Answers
Caring.com User - Jane Andersen, DPM
Jane Andersen, DPM, is a board-certified podiatrist in private practice in Chapel Hill, North Carolina. She provides surgical and nonsurgical foot and ankle...

The first and best way to bring down swelling (edema) in the feet and ankles is to find and treat the underlying cause, if there is one. That's why you See also:
Why are my mother's hands swollen after stroke?
should bring the problem to the attention of a doctor or other healthcare provider when you notice an increase in swelling in one or both feet that doesn't go down or is accompanied by pain or redness.

If there's not a medical cause, you can:

*Help the person decrease his salt intake.

*Elevate the foot or feet when sitting.

*Make sure the person walks a little more, if he's mobile, instead of spending the entire day sitting.

*Try massage; it's often used by lymphedema therapists to decrease edema that's caused by this disorder of the lymphatic system.

*Encourage the person to wear compression stockings. A doctor or podiatrist can help you choose the right kind for an individual situation. Stockings can come in one of many different levels of compression, measured in mmHg (millimeters of mercury). There are open- and closed-toe varieties, and knee-high, thigh-high, and pantyhose styles. They also come in different colors and are generally unisex.

You can buy compression stockings at medical supply stores and some pharmacies. When you purchase them, ask about special devices (sometimes called "stocking butlers") that make it easier to put the hose on in the morning, especially for people with limited grasp. The hosiery is most effective when donned before rising and worn during waking hours, then taken off at night.

I suffer from swollen legs and ankles. I am trying drinking a cup of 1 teaspoon dried parsley soaked overnight in boiled water. I have'nt really found out what is wrong. One docter says its heart failure the other says it is the side effect of my b/p tablets. I drink 2 Lasix every day. I would like it if I can get a few tips how to get rid of it.