How can I get my father removed from scam "sweepstakes" mailing lists?

My father gets sweepstakes offers constantly, his mailbox is full of them...because he's responded to them. How can I get these to stop coming in the mail, and to convince him that he didn't "win the jackpot"? I've told him a million times they are a scam.

Answers
Ben in CA answered...

Wow, I wish I had the answer. Your letter sounds exactly like the situation with my dad. Not only has his family told him that these are all fake, an FBI agent and a police detective along with his doctor have tried. He so much wants these notices to be true. But of course they are worthless. If you have found out any information please let me know. I don't know if the post office will stop delivery of this type of mail while allowing the first class mail to get through. Good luck with your situation!

CBo answered...

I am coping with the same thing - it's all my mother lives for is the mail arriving, then returning mail to these scams. Her post office has tried to talk sense to her on numerous occasions until she accused them of "harassment". I know she has been sending some money but she plays it off like its only a few dollars here and there, and when I suggested my name be added to her bank account in case of emergency, I was told "only after I win the money because they told me I can't have anyone else on my account" OMG!!!

If you discover something, PLEASE let me know!!! I feel completely useless and I'm scared of what the future may bring!

I have been dealing with the same thing and do have some helpful information. First, call your state Attorney General's office. I did that last week and was told the first thing to do is change all of their telephone numbers and do not list the numbers. Then contact the postal inspector regarding the sweepstakes entry forms they are receiving. We were told to keep them and turn them into the post office. The lady from the AG's office also called my parents and talked to them and explained to them the lottery scam. The AG's office was also able to place their names on a list with Western Union so they are unable to wire money, they also contacted their banks (after we provided them the information) and alerted them to the fact they were victims of a lottery scam. We do feel like we have a better handle on this but my mother was the one filling out the sweepstakes forms and that is how they started calling her. We may get to the point where we have to get their mail and then give them only the important mail and throw the junk mail away. The AG's office will be your best source of information and support. Good luck

Ruth S-Professional answered...

I'm dealing with the same thing with my dad and I work for an area agency on aging! I am pulling my hair out, sending oodles of letters and a copy of the power of attorney form I have to the "Mail Preference Service" that shows up on "Notification" fine print on back of the entry forms. I am "demanding" that they "cease and desist" from sending him anything else, that they remove him from their mailing list, and stop sharing his name and address with other mailing lists. It's a daunting task and I don't know if it'll help. I threatened that if they don't stop, I will contact local & federal authorities (there are consumer protection services out there) But I don't know how much it'll do. As others note, it's entertainment for him and he really thinks he's going to win! He is also ordering all sorts of junk, which makes him happy when I walk in the door & he can say, "I got this new kitchen strainer for you" and he can give me something...... My mother is pulling her hair out & their garage is filling up with all kinds of not made in USA junk!! .If someone can offer some alternatives to this, I know millions of caregivers would be eternally grateful. I'd love to find some sort of safe, trustworthy mail service that could come regularly for him to work on. He wouldn't be able to handle crossword puzzles and things like that, due to his cognitive limitations. What could there be that makes them feel as though they have purpose and can give them something to look forward to in the mail daily?? The 210 million dollar question!! If you have an answer, you're a winner!! (: >

kariecat answered...

I am dealing with the same thing with my Mom. Here is a website that I found very helpful. www.privacyrights.org, click on junk mail link on the left, then click on fact sheet #4. Also at dmachoice.org you can register as a caretaker and request thier name be removed from mailings. Good Luck

Edm answered...

So basically there really is no way to get removed from these sweepstakes lists. Our country has the ability to pinpoint where we are at any given time but we cant stop this garbage coming into our country attacking our most valuable assets our elderly. I think everyone who receives this trash should forward it to our representatives. In two months my dad has received over 300 sweepstakes, lottery, and psychic offers maybe even get the politicians on the mailing list. Im sick of the whole thing. Everytime I call a government office im given the run around to call someone else call your state ag, call the fbi, call your representative, call the post office, call the postal inspector. Our government should be capable of shutting this garbage down and they do nothing because this is REVENUE for the post office

devdude1962 answered...

I have been dealing with this issue with my Father-in-Law since Last October 2013. He swears that they are coming to the house with his check and balloons. He secretly gets the mail and fills out these entries. He has written 40 or so checks for various amounts to dozens of these outfits not believing that they are all scams. So I filed complaints with the Better Business Bureau in about fifteen states asking to be removed from their mailing lists as well as a full refund. I have gotten some responses and in two cases I received a full refund. This was only after I got myself access to his bank accounts online. I then downloaded all his checking activity into an Excel document and I could sort out all the sweepstakes check that cleared. What a pain in the butt this has become. I files an AG complaint in Kansas City. They were of little help. I think my next step will be to divert his mail to a PO BOX. I just wonder if he is also getting phone calls. he still has access to credit cards and debit cards. OMG