Can supplements aid in stroke recovery?

1 answer | Last updated: Apr 30, 2010
I'm a 40 year old and I suffered a hemorrhagic stroke on March 21, 2008. I was wanting to know if someone has some ideas on a supplement that can help in the recovery process. I am partially paralysed on the right side of my body. I hope to get some responses. Thank You.
For this question:

Answers
Caring.com User - James Castle, M.D.

Unfortunately, there is no "magic bullet" for stroke recovery. The best, and most widely used, method for recovering from a stroke is aggressive physical and occupational therapy. If possible, try See also:
Why is my mother so angry and abusive after her stroke?

See all 133 questions about Stroke Prognosis and Recovery
to go for three hours a day of therapy. If your insurance company does not pay for that much, ask your therapist if they can teach you some exercises to do at home to help with the recovery process.

If this is not working for you, or you want to try other techniques, I would recommend one of the following: 1) Seeing an alternative medicine specialist - one who specializes in accupuncture and herbal remedies for nerve regrowth. I have talked to several patients who think that standard therapy did not help much, but that accupuncture and herbal remedies helped to "re-awaken" the nerve connections. 2) Seek a consultation with a Physiatrist (Physical Medicine and Rehabiliation) Doctor at a nearby university. There are several trials using stimulation devices for stroke victims. They may be aware of therapies that you haven't been using, or of some clinical trials in your area that could provide some help.