(800) 973-1540

Is it possible to recover from a stroke-induced coma?

4 answers | Last updated: May 21, 2014
If an elderly person were to have a stroke and slip into a coma would you expect them to recover?

Answers
Caring.com User - James Castle, M.D.

This is somewhat difficult to answer without having more detail about the cause of the coma, the size of the stroke, the type of stroke, etc. However, in general, if an elderly person slips into a coma after a stroke, the prognosis is very poor. If they come out of their coma, the prognosis for a meaningful recovery (able to feed themselves, walk, talk, clothe themselves, etc.) is also very poor. Therefore, probably best to defer judgement to the doctors that are treating the person, but overall the prognosis sounds quite grim.

Kunle answered...

My dad slipped into a stroke-induced coma and never came out of it. Should it happen I would suggest making final plans for the loved one. Kunle. www.a-speedwireless.com

ztech1 answered...

I had a major hemmoraghic stroke and was in a coma for 6 1/2 weeks and thanks to my wife, the great doctors at the VA, yes the VA, and the one above. I am here still. So yes I would say it is possible. I did.

My grandmother had a major stroke added with a blood clot in her brain and had another smaller stroke which induced a coma. She has been under for 4 days now and any stories such as the one above are helpful. Hope is running thin at this moment and all we can do is pray. Please keep hope at all times. Once you lose it seems that it all goes downhill