(800) 973-1540

How common is it for women in their 40's to stroke?

I am a 48 year old female. R Basal Ganglia Stroke on 1.17.09. My left-sided weakness has improved. I have a slight foot drop and some left side coordination issues. My right eye blurs and I have muscle tightness/spasm. Otherwise I am very healthy. There is no known reason for my stroke. Q: How common is it for women in their 40's to stroke? (I have heard of two in my area so far...)

Answers
Caring.com User - James Castle, M.D.

At the age of 48, it is certainly not unheard of to have a stroke. However, it is still quite rare and deserves a throrough evaluation. Unlike a stroke in See also:
How Do You Treat a TIA and Cut Stroke Risks Afterward?
an older person, a stroke at the age of 48 cannot be assumed to be from the standard risk factors of "hardening of the arteries", and I try to leave "no stone unturned", as the saying goes.

Your evaluation should include an MRI of the brain, a non-invasive angiogram of the brain and neck (either CT angiogram or MR angiogram) - a simple ultrasound of the neck is not sufficient, a hypercoaguable (clotting) panel, a special ultrasound of the heart called a transesophageal echocardiogram, and a prolonged telemetry of the heart electrical rhythms. Even with this list above, a large minority of patients will never have an identifiable cause found. However, I think it makes most sense to do a very thorough evaluation and try to identify some of the causes of stroke in a young person. These include clotting disorders, inborn heart defects, or small tears in the arteries.

I had a stroke at the age of 45 due to a carotid artery dissection. Make sure you get your carotid arteries checked out.