(800) 973-1540

What would cause a stinging feeling in the pads of my toes?

donnalouise asked...
for a long time now I get a stinging feeling in the pads of my toes. I cant wear heels, I need to wear flat shoes, it is really painful and getting me down I've also bought wider fit shoes but it still happens. I stand all the time im a hairdresser. help anyone

Answers
Caring.com User - Jane Andersen, DPM
Jane Andersen, DPM, is a board-certified podiatrist in private practice in Chapel Hill, North Carolina. She provides surgical and nonsurgical foot and ankle...

There are many causes of tingling, burning or stinging in the pads of the toes. Depending on the location and which toes, it can be caused by a benign enlargement See also:
Does Parkinson's cause buring feet and foot pain?
of a nerve in your foot called a neuroma.
Another possibility is a condition where a nerve gets trapped at the level of the ankle. This is called tarsal tunnel syndrome, and is similar to carpal tunnel syndrome of the wrist. These symptoms can also be coming from your lower back. At times, burning and tingling can be caused by a systemic problem, like a vitamin deficiency or diabetes. You should make an appointment with your podiatrist to have a foot examination and find out what the diagnosis is. In the mean time, wear flat shoes or limit your heel height to less than 2 inches. Make sure to choose a shoe with a wide, round toe box.

tbear01 answered...

I recommend seeing a Neurologist who can administer tests. I had the same thing and it turned out to be peripheral neuropathy. I take Lyrica for it and it is very helpful.