(800) 973-1540

What Can Be Done When Someone With COPD Feels Short of Breath All the Time?

Answers
Caring.com User - Leslie Kernisan, M.D.
Dr. Leslie Kernisan is a senior medical editor at Caring.com and a clinical instructor in the University of California, San Francisco, Division of Geriatrics....

When someone with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) feels short of breath, what can be done depends on the circumstances.

See also:
What's the Difference Between COPD and Chronic Bronchitis?

See all 276 questions about COPD
  • If the person with COPD develops more shortness of breath than usual over a few days, or that shortness of breath quickly becomes more labored, the person needs prompt medical care. Rapid worsening of one's breathing can be a sign of a COPD exacerbation (also called a COPD flare), which can become life-threatening if not treated promptly.
  • If the person with COPD is finding himself more short of breath all the time, see an internist or, better yet, a pulmonary specialist. The doctor should verify that the shortness of breath is due to poorly controlled COPD and not some other condition. The doctor can then recommend adjustments in inhalers and other medications. Some patients need to use three to four different inhalers every day to manage their COPD.

As COPD progresses, some patients may find that they also need oxygen for certain parts of the day or even around the clock.

• If the person with COPD is receiving maximum therapy (with medications and oxygen) and still feels short of breath most of the time, this is a difficult situation with no easy solutions. Depending on the person's age and other factors, options include surgery, hospice, or simply choosing to live with the discomfort of chronic shortness of breath. For those who choose hospice, opiate medicines such as morphine and oxycodone act on the lungs and can help relieve some of the labored breathing.

m320753 answered...

i've had COPD for a while and staying inside my home most of the time my weight ballooned to 248lbs. i was getting to the point where walking up stairs i would have to stop and rest. determed i refused to letCOPD control everything in my life. i watched what i ate and several of my meds state that weight gain as a side effect. being tired and not eating was a huge problem and i wouldn't just sit back waiting for the Lord to call me so i boyght 20 lb dumb bells which was a mistake. when i was in prison for 16 months i went from 5 lb. to 10 then 15 then 20 lb. dumb bells so i bought a pairof 5lb. dumbells and carried them around as i took my walks around the block. my local Y joined a program called " silver sneakers" which is free to seniors my present weight is 175-180 i can work lightly in my gardens which was the love hobby i became addicted to, i used to spend every minute possable there i made 5 gardens which turned to weeds,but i was surprised to find most of my weeds turned into beautiful wild flowers. believe it or not . try a little bit of strength exercises stop as necessary a little more as your body wants on a particular day. it helped me get back some of my self esteem i hope this helped you.