Where can I find a place for my elderly Mother that's safe...

5 answers | Last updated: May 19, 2013
Where can I find a place for my elderly Mother that's safe with her limited monthly income?

Answers

To qualify for low income senior housing, there are many restrictions and they vary from state to state. Many communities are required to offer lower rents to some residents, as See also:
How can I prescreen assisted-living facilities so I don't have to tour every one?

See all 176 questions about Financial Assistance for Seniors
they have obtained loans from the state or federal government. HUD housing is where you should start looking. Section 8 lets you live in a complex for a rent that is a fixed percentage of your parent’s monthly income. There are also affordable communities called satellite facilities that are often run by larger not-for-profit or for-profit communities.

Keep in mind that in many cases, when looking at affordable housing, your mother will probably be sharing a room. Start looking as soon as you can—these places have waiting lists. Here are three places to start; each should be able to refer you to resources in your area:

Jennifer Prell is the CEO of Paxem, Inc.

Programs for low-income seniors exist in almost every state. To qualify, your mother will probably have to meet income guidelines. Some places receive property tax incentives to offer below market rent to low-income seniors. They work on a sliding scale based on income.

Your mother may be eligible for a Medicaid diversion program or funding from the Veteran's Administration if she is a widow of a veteran and needs some care. You can contact a free senior referral service such as Paxem's partner organization, Silver Connections (info@asilverconnection.com), to get individual help.

azk86314 answered...

i tried getting my mom on va aid,she can't get it after my father passed away she remarried.wasn't married long 2 him.so is there any places in AZ i can look into.can help help getting her into a assitted living place or health care aid, Kay

donnamills47 answered...

I would suggest that if you can't meet the government standards, just get Mom into a hospital and when you tell the hospital that you are unable to pick her up after her check-up or care for her, the good social workers at the hospitals will find a place for her because the hospital cannot keep patients with alzheimers for too long without finding them an alzheimers facility. They won't just put her out in the street, and I know they will find a place. They have people who know more about what to do than you or I do.

azk86314 answered...

i can't just put my mom in the hospital for nothning besides having alz.Her dr is getting her in 2 see a neurologist,and see what he says go from there.She mit be moving in here till her can get into someplace or get on LTC.still waitting on them 2 come for health.Her dr told us today that she shoudn't be living alone.i can't get anywhere with getting her on va-aid attences.NO ONE WILL HELP ME get my father's military records.i have asked many ppl for help e1 said they can't help me getting upset here.Why can't someone help me?