(800) 973-1540

Can chemo cause side effects for those exposed to the patient receiving it?

My son is always worring about germs, second hand smoke, etc, and now is worried that the chemo his Grandma is taking could have side affects for him. Is that even a remote possibility?

Answers
Senior Editor Melanie Haiken, who is responsible for Caring.com's coverage of cancer, general health, and family finance, discovered how important it is to provide accurate...

No, there is nothing for your son to worry about. Chemotherapy drugs are systemic drugs that stay within the cancer patient's body and cannot affect others. Those who live with cancer patients or care for them cannot be exposed to the chemotherapy drugs in any way.

Likewise, cancer itself is not contagious. It doesn't work like a germ-based disease; it's the cancer patient's own cells that have become affected by the cancer. Unlike second hand smoke, there's no risk to anyone around the patient in sharing any part of the house.

cph answered...

Sorry to hear about your sick grandmother. I'm not a doctor but I've spent some time studying this while caring for my boyfriend who received a chemo regimen. If in doubt, ask the nurses where she's getting therapy.

Probably not a concern under normal circumstances. Remember you are constantly exposed to people receiving chemo when on the bus, train etc. You just don't know it. But it is a good thing to be aware of, since these drugs are toxic. The risks of the drugs are worth it to the patients receiving the drugs, but for those around it is important to minimize exposure.

Studies have found the drugs and their metabolites are found in body fluids of people receiving the drugs, mostly in urine. It is important to avoid contact with urine for the days after the patient received chemo. As a precaution, patients are advised to sit down on the toilet while urinating, and flushing the toilet twice with the lid closed. The toilet should be cleaned with gloves. Gloves must be used when empying a bedpan etc. with urine and care be taken to avoid splashing. Linnens, bedsheets etc. soiled with urine, vomit etc. should be washed as soon as possible (or stored in sealed bags) - glvoes shuold be used when handling these sheets, and they should be washed separately from other stuff, preferably twice.

The above is the usual advice Ive seen to spouses etc. to people receiving chemo. For people caring for patients at oncology wards (who may be seeing a lot of patients receiving chemo every day during their entire work life) some extra precautions are advised:

Certain drugs (incl. cyclophosphamide and thiotepa) can also be found in smaller amounts in sweat, and can be found in clothes, linnes, bedsheets etc. from patients receiving the drugs. It is advisable to change linnes, bedsheets etc. 2-3 days after infusion of drug, preferably using gloves. The same is true for clothes worn during those days.

Remember that the drugs quickly flush out of the system (in most casea a few days), so it is only the days shortly after infusion that special precautions must be taken. Otherwise just use common sense and normal good hygiene :) And don't let this disturb your caring for your grandmother, she needs all the support she can get. Good luck :)

anonymous84 answered...

I disagree with the first answer by Melanie Haiken; although it is true that chemotherapy is a systemic drug, it is excreted in body fluids and the hospital provides a list of precautions for caregivers. Thanks to CPH for a much more definitive answer.

I also disagree with the first answer by Melanie Haiken. I am not sure what her credentials are, but she is seriously undereducated. My father has Stage 4 Colo-rectal, Stage 4 Prostate, and Stage 4 Bone Cancer. So, I have to clean up his diaper, of course soaked with blood, feces, and urine. All of his bodily fluids are extremely high in concentrations of the take home chemo drug Xeloda. This is causing not only myself, but my husband, who also cares for him, severe headaches, nausea, and diahrea. My background is in Molecular Genetics (a B.S.) and Nurse Practitioning. I also went back to school and received my B.S.N. (for nursing,) and my Master's in Nurse Practitioning. Chemotherapy can cause allergic reactions, diahrrea, birth defects, miscarriages, and cancer for the caregiver later in life. Also, the vapors from his diaper are noxious, so we wear face masks which do not even prevent the chemicals from entering our lungs. This is an unfortunate downside of being my father's caregiver, but we love him, and he wishes to remain at my house, instead of a nursing home, so that is where he will be. The doctors and nurses do not care that we have to go through this, and our two year old son has suddenly developed a horrible habit of projectile vomiting EVERY DAY. I am taking him to a specialist tomorrow to have his blood levels of the chemo drug tested. If he turns up positive, I am told by his pediatrician that it is a result of walking on the bathroom floor, because my father's urine bag is emptied into the toilet, then flushed twice. Because the urine splashes onto the floor, and the drug is so potent, my son has been exposed, even though we clean the floor at least once a day. As well, our shoes have tracked this chemical around our floors, according to the pediatrician. So, if you have children, please keep a spare pair of shoes and only use them around the part of the house your loved one lives in. I was looking on the internet and found Ms. Haiken's answer completely ridiculous. These chemo pills are very very concentrated, and should not even be handled without doubled gloves, and washing your loved one's bodily fluids off, when mixed with water, will soak into your skin, and get into your bloodstream. These chemicals cause cancer later in life, and sterility sometimes. So use caution, and keep as much of a barrier between you and the body fluids as possible. But that does not mean that you are being "mean" or "disrespectful" to your loved one! Just take care of yourself and your children as well.

JustAnObserver answered...

The reply provided above was helpful and very knowledgeable. While it's obvious the poster was quick to point out the "underedcuatednesss" of Ms. Haiken, let's point out the fact that she is putting herself and husband at RISK with the care of her father while he's on Xeloda.

The obvious signs have already been listed and they are experiencing these symptoms now. But, they are adults and have chosen that the risks and, perhaps, problems down the road are worth taking. Let's also point out that their 2 year old son is being exposed to this, as well. Regardless the situation, should the child be exposed to such endangerment on behalf of his parents ineptness? There is no rationlization.

I appreciate the response from "anonymous." My mother has been doing the laundry for my father who has been taking chemotherapy for almost one year for colorectal cancer. In the last 3 months her hair has started to fall out and she has a constant itch but no rash. She had a blood draw and everything was normal. I wish we could find someone else who has experienced this. My father's last chemo treatment will be in about 6 weeks (after 36 total) but in the meantime, my mother is miserable. If anyone has any advice, we would sure appreciate it.

For Anonymous caregiver (mother/father). I too have been doing laundry, driving my mom, living with her, sharing same kitchen dishes, utensils, etc., bathroom everything for two years now. With every new round of chemotherapy I also lose hair, have itchy skin, etc. Her oncologist suggested it was "sympathy chemo," but I feel these are real side effects from all of this indirect exposure. I wish I could help with a solution, but again, it's been two years and counting now and my hair starts to come back in during chemo breaks only to fall back out/major thinning and the itchy skin, fluid retention, spots, achy joints, occasional nausea, fatigue, etc., every new round...At least we know we are not the only ones going through this. For what that's worth. :(

Concerned mother! answered...

Like many of you I have been losing my hair since my son has been taking the chemotherapy drug called CCNU. Since he has been on it, every time I brush my hair or just run my fingers through it, I always get fingers full of hair. I found this site just from wondering and asking the above question. Thank you all for sharing your experience and information. I thought it was just me!

helpingmyfriend answered...

I found the post explaining that exposure to chemo is harmful to be very helpful!! It's amazing how awful the chemo really is, especially to people like my friend who is a nurse, who has at this point experienced every possible damage it can do, with the exception of cancer which she has been told is the last step before death basically!! I feel so helpless in trying to find a way to help her. I am searching for a doctor who might could help. She has experienced the infertility, ovary growing to her colon, hair coming out, 2 growths in her throat, and many other awful things...Due to quack doctors in a small town, she doesn't know who to turn to for help or answers and with the help of OSHA and a couple of others, has bascially diagnosed herself. Here's the kicker; she only worked around the chemo drug for 4 weeks administering it to patients, now she is paying with her life..if anyone knows of a clinic or something that might could be of help, please contact me back!! I want to help her!!

SpursFootieChick answered...

Thanks for your comments everyone!!! I have a comment AND a question.....

To those of you CARING for oncology patients at home & who are experiencing chemo side effects yourselves....I see that at least one of you has had bloodwork done but that it was "all fine." My 'educated guess' to explain that is that I'd imagine that your doc ordered the very BASIC blood tests like a CBC (Complete Blood Count-gives numbers of red & white blood cells-in whole #s & then broken down into the specific TYPES of red & white cells as well), platelets, etc. It can determine if you are anemic, have an infection (& what kind~bacterial or viral), if your blood cells & platelets are shaped & functioning properly, etc., & BMP (Basic Metabolic Profile, '6,' or chemistries, which includes the most basic ones like sodium, potassium, chloride, carbon dioxide, blood sugar/glucose & BUN-Blood Urea Nitrogen, Creatinine-both check kidney function....a CMP, a '9' or a '12' just add a few MORE chemistries like some liver tests, alkaline phos, calcium, etc.). IF you've had blood tests AND they all came back 'normal,' I'd suggest you go back to your doc & explain in detail your symptoms, suggest they order more complete & symptom specific blood tests & if necessary, be stern & adamant about it till you get the answer you want (ie: "Here's the order for your blood tests!"). I KNOOOOOOOW JUST HOW DIFFICULT IT IS TO LOOK AFTER SOMEONE GOING THRU THIS, someone who is very ill, someone who requires anywhere from minimal to absolutely CONSTANT & COMPLETE & TOTAL CARE & you all areABSOLUTE ANGELS...there's a special place in heaven waiting for you!!!!!! MOVING ON TO MY QUESTION: I worked as an oncology nurse for several years in a small private practice where the only nurses were myself & one of my best friends. We both left when sadly, the practice closed & the physician (the VERY BEST I'VE EVER KNOWN!!!) went to teach medical school nearly 10 years ago. The other nurse & I have BOTH been suffering terribly for at least the past five years of VERY SIMILAR autoimmune diseases (she has even had to have a TRACHEOTOMY PLACED!!!) & I'm wondering if anyone out there knows of ANY PROOF of the relationship between mixing & giving the chemo & then developing disabling diseases down the road? I'd also like to know if there is any government recourse or resources available to help us? I can hardly work now but, although it makes me SICKER, still drag myself in once or twice a week for 12 hour shifts because my family desperately needs the money from my income (@ least SOME OF IT), same with my friend. I was DENIED Social Security Disability, even after all SEVEN OF MY DOCTORS BEGGED ME TO APPLY. If anyone out there knows WHERE I can find some help, PLEEEEEEASE POST!!!! Thanks so much,

Becca

Vga1963 answered...

First, thank you for these post. They have been incredibly helpful in helping me find answers pertaining to symptoms I'm experiencing lately.

Recently, my husband was diagnosed with Lymphoma and has been going through a regimen of chemo therapy treatment every three weeks. While he is only on his third treatment, I have begun to experience bazaar symptoms such as numbness in my feet and legs, tingling in my toes, my legs feel like lead when I awake in the morning, my feet are going to sleep when they are stationary, etc. Unfortunately, I have not been taking the precautions noted in the previous post. Thus effective immediately, I will begin a much stricter regimen to guard against the chemo transfer. Thank you again for your insight.

docmanic answered...

For those scratching their heads about their symptoms:

Live blood analysis (LBA) can identify sources of many problems very quickly and cheaply (compared to accepted testing procedures,) although medical plans are not likely to pay for it. It is a diagnostic system that is often used along with alternative medicines.

A google search turns up a lot of negative press on LBA, but I have seen it work on my wife to identify an exact problem she faced, which was then addressed with alternative, non-toxic measures that were unbelievably effective.

Very common result with LBA is the analyst recommends dietary and lifestyle changes that address the causes of the issues rather than attacking the symptoms (which appears to be standard medical protocol.)

Our society is inherently toxic, and we are exposed to these toxins through the food chain, environment, workplace, home, health plans, etc ad nauseum. Our best defense against illness is making healthy choices.

Our best defensive and diagnostic tool is our own brain, and it needs to be applied through critical thinking, where we question everything we are told, even the accepted dogma of current medical practice. Remember, repetition does not make something true.

VaCherokeeMama answered...

My husband suffered from Stage 3 A lung cancer and had a pneumonectomy to remove his left lung. He is undergoing chemo therapy using Cisplatin and Navalbene. Since he began treatment, we sleep in the same bed, I have had chronic pain in my feet and hands, nausea, diarhea, constipation, and headaches. I think we should avoid sleeping in the same bed for a for the remainder of his chemotherapy. Any advice?

Kr.S answered...

My mother had breats cancer and is receiving chemo at the hospidal every 3 weeks. I have a 6 years old daughter who loves to spend time with her daily, prepare food together, have sleepovers in the same bed etc. So I understand she has to stop that for now. but my question is, how many days after the treatment is she "dangerous" (she only takes hormones at home, no chemo at home)?

I have been caring for my husband for the last four months while he has received a very heavy dose of FolFox for 3 months and then just 5Fu because of side effects from the Oxaliplatin. We have been told all the usual things about secondary exposure - flush twice, shut toilet lid before you do, be careful of body secretions for 48 hrs, etc. About 3 months into the chemo, my fingernails began to tear off like paper, I have lost more hair than normal, and I am exhausted - more so than just from the stress of our situation. I believe that even with taking precautions to avoid exposure to the chemo drugs, when you live in the same house with someone who's going through it, you're going to be exposed to it and experience some effects from it. DO NOT believe for a minute that it doesn't exit the body through sweat as well as urine and other secretions. Good luck to all on this journey!

Grostaylor answered...

I have been taking of my husband with stage four lung cancer (non smoker) for two years and was never told about the precautions that are necessary for my safety. My throat for the past year has felt strange and sometimes dries out results in sneezing. I was one of those people who rarely sneezed and now I do at least twice a day. I have been to ENT specialists and they tell me I am fine? He has been getting Gemzar practically every week for two weeks and then one off for over one year and a half.

After reading the precautions on Cancer.org for Caregivers, its obvious that what they are calling "second-hand Chemo" is real! It is secreted thru a persons bodily fluids, even tears. It can burn your skin and cause disease, is harmful to children, pets and can cause fetal death. Read it for yourselves and use the proper precautions please!

Naluh answered...

Yes! Secondhand Chemo is real! I'm a survivor of Breast Cancer and the first instructions I received for chemo were: - any time you use the toilet flush it TWO times to avoid secondhand Chemo - do not allow anyone in your household to be in contact with your body fluids without PPEs - use condoms when having sex (the last thing I wanted in that time) during Chemo It's also possible to contaminate a pet with persistent licking habits (if it licks your hands too much, etc.).