(800) 973-1540

Is Risperdal a bad choice for treating dementia for an 81 year old?

Ms Terri asked...

Answers
Ladislav Volicer, M.D., Ph.D., is recognized as an international expert on advanced dementia care. He is a courtesy full professor at the School of...

Risperdal and other antipsychotics increase slightly the risk of stroke and other side effects. However, they are the only medications that will block your mother's hallucinations. The decision boils down to evaluation of risks and benefits. The benefits of stopping the hallucinations that bother your mother would in my opinion outweigh the risk of side effects of Risperdal. If she were my mother, I would definitely treat her with Risperdal.

alice baby answered...

My Mom just started on Respirdal about 8 days ago (.5) and her delusions have faded completely. I was extremely opposed to her taking the meds because of the side effects. However, she is more settled and everything appears to be fine. She is groggy throughout the day but again, the delusions were constant and exhausting for her and everyone else.

alice baby answered...

Ms Teri, I have been looking for a place here in NH for my Mom so that I can be with her more frequently. I have been fortunate to talk to the Directors of the facilities I have been looking into. They have been so thoughtful, compassionate and very helpful. It's amazing how caring these folks are with us! I always insert in the conversation about the new medicine my mom is taking, the Respirdal, and they all say the same--yes, it does have its risks, as all meds do, but it is the ONLY med that will block the delusions! So far, so good with Mum. I will keep you updated in terms of her behaviors. I will be in NJ next week , staying at the facility with my Mum 12-14 hours each day. I will be getting a big picture of what's happening. I am very optimistic! Ms Teri, My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. It's comforting to know we are not alone and I really like sharing info. I will have much more in a few weeks. Susan