(800) 973-1540

How do we keep Dad in his clothes?

2 answers | Last updated: Feb 25, 2014
My father is in a nursing home with dementia. He wants to take off his clothes. Where can I find clothes that he will not be able to get out of?
For this question:

Answers
Caring.com User - Jytte Lokvig
Jytte Lokvig, PhD, coaches families and professional caregivers and designs life-enrichment programs and activities for patients with Alzheimer's disease and related dementia. Her workshops...

You can purchase jumpsuits that zip up the back, making it impossible for him to undress without assistance. Use your favorite search engine to look for "adaptive clothing." Two such sites are: www.silverts.com and www.buckandbuck.com.

If you sew, you can make some yourself by altering some of his current clothes: Double-stitch pants and top together at the waist, stitch closed the front-plackets and pockets. Then finally sew a long zipper into the back, from the middle of the seat up to the neck. The end result will look like a regular outfit, but will be "tamperproof."

boobytrap answered...

Looks like the perfect answer as long as someone can help when its time to go to the bathroom. In my case, when it's time to go, it's time to go right now, and if I don't get there, then there is a laundry to do.