Is drinking red wine a bad choice for someone with high blood sugar?

progidy.net-1 asked...
My husband's blood sugar is usually 150-160 first thing in the morning before eating. He needs to lose 15 lbs. Is drinking wine in the evening a bad choice for him at this time? His tryclerics are high, too. He enjoys a couple of glasses of wine after work, but isn't red wine high in calories & can raise blood sugar levels? Thanks

Answers

While there is alot of research going on about red wine, there are no recommendations out right now about how much is beneficialin diabetics. The American Diabetes Association recommends See also:
How can I help my parent figure out when her blood sugar is too high?
no more than 2 drinks per day in a male with diabetes. A glass of red wine has a low glycemic index, which means that it has very little effect on raising blood sugars. This is why he should not drink alcohol without eating, as his blood sugar can drop very low.

To help lower his blood sugar and lose some weight, he should try some exercise, such as walking. I recommend going outside and walking for 15 minutes in one direction at a moderate pace, then turning around and walking the 15 minutes back home. This is an easy way to exercise that doesn't take alot of thinking or planning.

As for the triglycerides being high, he needs to cut down on fatty foods, and eat more vegetables.