What can I do about recurring calluses on my feet?

atilla asked...
For 12 years I have had 4-6 calluses on the bottom of my feet. They are deep, going almost to my bone. They cause pain when I walk and I like long distance walking. Surgeons take them off, but they always occur again. What can I do?

Answers
Caring.com User - Jane Andersen, DPM
Jane Andersen, DPM, is a board-certified podiatrist in private practice in Chapel Hill, North Carolina. She provides surgical and nonsurgical foot and ankle...

Recurrent foot calluses are a very difficult problem. There is no permanent cure for many types of calluses. There are ways to help your pain including regular trimmings by a podiatrist, use of creams(such as urea based creams like Carmol), and custom orthotics which can take the pressure off the painful areas. For some people, surgery can be done on the underlying bones to permanently relieve calluses. Your podiatrist can take x-rays and tell you if this is a possibility or not.

atilla answered...

thanks yours reply its very helpfull.I didnt aware before callus root could be goes up to bones .my main wonder is reason .Does person metabolisma create this kind problem or thin flesh foot or life style create example long walking thank you again yours helpful atilla

I had 5-6 dime to nickel sized calluses on the bottom of my foot that were painful when walking. Two podiatrists told me that this would be a chronic problem for the rest of my life. While in their office they would scrap/dig some of the calluses out, mostly the center. But after they did this, the pain was worse when I was in the shower or swimming because they had only made a small hole in the center rather than remove all the dead callus tissue. This hole allowed water to enter and fill up the calluses until they were all white, puffy and the tissue was softened. One day since the tissue was soft - I decided to try to scrap the dead white skin of the calluses off myself with a small scalpel from my Biology lab. And a ton of dead tissue came off easily, but not all. So each time I showered I scraped as much as I could without making it bleed. I did this 4 or 5 times I think and then there wasn't any more dead callused skin left really so I stopped. The holes in my foot were not painful and they gradually went away PERMANTELY. This was 3 years ago and I haven't had any more of calluses since.