(800) 973-1540

Which personal alert devices would be best for my father?

Sharon Yool asked...
Which personal alert devices would be best for my father? He has tunnel vision in 1 eye and no sight in the other. He can still live in his house, but I'd feel better knowing that he can summon help easily. What programs have care givers tried and have been successful?

Answers

It's hard to chose a personal emergency response or alert system because they're more alike than different. The makes on the market are all pretty similar. Our Caring.com buying guide See also:
What can I do to encourage my dad to wear his personal emergency response (PERS) device?
provides a starting description of these systems, check it out at www.caring.com/buying_guides/personal-emergency-response-systems-pers. My advice is to call a bunch of companies, ask lots of questions, especially about pricing, and go with your gut based on your customer service experience. It's also helpful to remember that PERS (personal emergency response systems) companies offer sales and special deals all the time. Be sure to ask. And good luck. It's sometimes harder to make a buying choice when there's more to choose from. The technology of PERS systems are mostly the same, so you need to look for differences, and the best customer service experience.

Caring.com User -

Kate gave some great advice above. These systems can be very similar and customer service is key. Price does not always determine what value you will receive from a company. We have found that in this market, you can just pay for the name and not always get the best service available.

Since your father has limited eyesight, I would suggest that you be sure that the unit you buy has braille on the main console's buttons. Your dad may not know braille, but you can teach him simply how to feel the difference between them.

As far as the button style goes, you may want to consider the watch style over the pendant as it may be easier for him to find in an emergency. Just understand that if your father injures the opposite arm where he is wearing the watch, in an accidental fall or something, then he may find it difficult to press.

Best,

Pat Shepherd

lisa_mla answered...

There is a slight difference between units w/o monthly fees and units w/them. Units w/o monthly fees are not monitored. There are numbers programed in the unit and are dialed if you need help. Well what if you can not talk and you press the button? Yes it will automatically call 911 for you if programmed but is it going to call your loved one right after? If so, how are you going to be able to communicate to them if you can't speak? With a 2 way unit with 24/7 monitoring if the operator can not hear you they are going to immediately call 911 and they are also going to call your emergency contacts and let them know the situation. They also notify 911 of any medications or medical conditions you may have and let them know if you have a lockbox somewhere w/a key so they don't kick your door down. So sometimes it is worth paying that small monthly monitoring fee to feel well protected. I work w/Medical Life Alarm and our 2 way unit with 24/7 monitoring is sent out at no cost and you are just responsible for that monitoring fee. Usually we charge $29.95 per month put I can offer special discounts to greatly reduce that monthly price. When you sign up you are not under any contract and we guarentee your price will never increase even if ours do.

Lisa Medical Life Alarm, LLC 1-888-243-0978