What could be causing my husband to sleep so much?

12barb asked...
My husband will sleep 10 hours at night, take a 3 hour nap in the morning and then sleep all afternoon. What could be causing him to sleep this much?

Answers

Reading through your letter, I will try to answer this question the best I can without knowing how old your husband is, what kind of medical problems he has, or See also:
Could loud snoring indicate a medical problem?

See all 146 questions about Sleep Problems
how much he used to sleep. That being said, if your husband never used to sleep this much and is otherwise healthy, the first thing I would do is to take him to his health care provider for an evaluation. From what you say, he is getting at least 13+ hours of sleep a day, and that would be especially signigicant if he used to sleep 5 hours a day. Depression, sleep apnea, medication side effects (including pain meds, muscle relaxants, antihistamines), chronic pain, fibromyalgia, lupus, anemias, autoimmune disorders, infections, heart problems, or neurological problems all need to be thoroughly ruled out as a possibility for his increased need to sleep. He should have an extensive physical examination and labwork at the very least to see if anything is wrong. You should schedule this appointment as soon as possible, as many of these problems can get worse if left untreated.

Now, if your husband has been very ill and sleepy for some time, it sometimes takes a while for people to build back up their strength, so sleeping alot is not abnormal. If your husband has dementia and has been slowly declining over time, this may be a sign of progression of the disease. Again, I would check with your health care provider, as they would know if this is something to be concerned about. Hopefully, this answer has helped to give you some guidance on how to help him. Good luck!

HandiAnn answered...

How old is he? My dad slept a lot in his final years. He died in December at 92. He'd always been a sleeper but in the last few years, he slept more. I think he was losing interest in life and maybe had some mild depression, despite the fact that he still was engaged in other ways (like watching the stock market). If you asked him, he'd just say he liked to sleep. He had a stroke 10 years ago, so maybe that had some effect on him too, I'm not sure.

Have you asked your husband why he sleeps so much? Has his doctor examined him for some underlying medical condition? Does he seem depressed -- like he's lost interest in what's going on around him? I'd start with those questions and try to get some answers from him and his doctor to start. Good luck!

albert answered...

my husband lost interest in everything, he use to work so hard,and he love to drive,we went so many places all over usa,but when he stated to lose his memory,i took him to the myu alzheimer reserch,they all kinde of test and they said he had cognitive imperment, but every year has advance,and one year the doctor,me and my kids said no more driving, and that made him so deprece that hi will not talk to mi,it not easy ,i know that everybodi have hardships,but ,now he sleps in the afternoon and he goes to sleep early.i starded to send him to a day care were the do activities , he sims happy everybody loves him , i see that wen hi laids in bed he moves his legs and thas not fill comfortable he takes zanak to go to slep,and he is obsesive.he thas not remember to much but that he thas not forget.thank you mirta

matthewsnana answered...

This sounds like my 26 year old daughter. She has a mitral valve prolapse and the blood flow is flowing back and a small amount is going into her lung. For now there is not a whole lot that can be done except keep a watch on it with echo-cardiograms to make sure the situation doesn't get any worse.

kduncan answered...

Does your husband snore? Does he stop breathing when he is sleeping? This sounds so much like my husband. He was evaluated at a sleep clinic. They have him using a C-Pap machine. He sleeps great all night and now is awake ALL day 16-hours!! What a HUGE difference!!!