(800) 973-1540

How Can I Tactfully Tell Someone He's Missing the Toilet?

7 answers | Last updated: Feb 13, 2014
Answers
Caring.com User - Ann Cason
As Founder and Director of Circles of Care, Ann Cason provides caregiving, consulting, and training services to individuals and public and private organizations involved...

You'll first want to try to figure out why his aim is off. Some possibilities:

See also:
How can I tell whether my father's incontinence after his stroke is temporary?

See all 155 questions about Incontinence
  • He might just be experiencing a normal effect of aging; the urine doesn't always come out in a predictable way. It may spray, for example, or first may dribble and then come out fast.

• He might have an underlying medical condition, such as a prostate problem or another cause of incontinence.

• He might have poor eyesight.

When missing the commode becomes habitual, it's important to get a medical checkup to see if the cause can be determined. You should be frank: "You seem to be having trouble urinating into the toilet, and I just want to make sure there's no medical issue."

Matter-of-fact honesty is the best policy, even if you're embarrassed.

If you know that there's not a health issue or know that eyesight is the problem: Address the issue of cleanup in a supportive way: "Look, I've been noticing sometimes you miss the toilet. I'm going to leave a rag in a bucket here in the bathroom. If you can just check and wipe up any spills, I'd appreciate it, OK? I'll keep checking, too."

If he has dementia or another disorder that causes mental confusion: When the problem isn't just missing the commode but urinating in odd corners of the bathroom (or other places), the person might be trying to tell you something. In this case, don't say anything about the mess but pay special attention to see whether there's a pattern. Does he urinate outside the toilet only when a visitor comes to the house? Or when he's been left alone without company?

Someone with moderate to advanced dementia may use behaviors like this to express resentment, isolation, and other complicated feelings that they lack the capacity to share otherwise. The misplaced pee is a bid for your attention.

See if you can determine what the person needs. Some possibilities: more physical affection (being hugged while watching TV) or stimulation (getting out of the house more, perhaps by going out to eat or for a drive).

babyboomer answered...

Place a large colorful funnel (from the automotive section) next to the toilet and let the man know he must place his junk in the large open end and point the small end at the center of the commode. This should solve a lot of clean up problems. The sick elderly patient can handle this, but may not be able to clena up the floor after himself.

sccggirl answered...

Sometimes you kind of (or at least this works for me for my mom) treat our parents as we may have wanted to be treated when we were kids and had "accidents" as not to embarrass them.

It can be a little worse if they have recurrent UTI as she does lately.

CA-Claire answered...

Sometimes sitting is the answer, as seniors sometimes have trouble balancing themselves, especially if their attention is elsewhere - such as making sure they hit the toilet. Should their balance be fine, and they are just not hitting the toilet bowl, go to Amazon, and search on toilet targets. There are various items made to go in the toilet bowl for the Men to aim at. They range from animals, sea creatures, flies, to an actual bull's eye target. With so much white in the bathroom, and some eye sight failing, having a brightly colored target may improve the 'aim' significantly.