Does Medicare pay for cataract surgery and glasses afterwards?

3 answers | Last updated: Jul 02, 2013
grandmol asked...
Does Medicare pay for cataract surgery and glasses afterwards?

Answers User - Joseph L.  Matthews Expert
Joseph L. Matthews is a Expert, an attorney, and the author of Long-Term Care: How to Plan & Pay for It and...
73% helpful

Yes, Medicare Part Bcan pay for one pair of eyeglasses or one set of contact lenses after you've had cataract surgery. This coverage only applies if the surgery implanted See also:
Will Medicaid or Medicare pay for indigent health care?
a new lens in your eye (as is done in most cataract surgeries). If you get glasses covered by Medicare, it will pay for the lenses and frames, but only basic frames. If you want any other kind of frames, you'll have to pay out of pocket for the difference between the standard amount Medicare pays and the amount your frames actually cost. You'll also have to pay a coinsurance amount, which is 20% of the amount Medicare approves for the lenses and frames, or for the contacts.


More Answers
67% helpful
neorican answered...

You are allowed glasses and frames after each surgery as long as there a reasonably lengthy time period --all depending on your vision after each surgery --- there are faciliities that accept medicare and do all the paperwork and you pay only what is above the medicare allowance ---Very easy? You don't need to get invold with Co-pays , etc -- --

The info provided by Mr. Matthews is much too basic --This is the info that you get from Medicare--- What we need to know is what is a basic frame --- I believe the number is up to $67 and for a lens , it is whatever the store charges for a basic plasstic lens -- You pay for Poly carb or any extra --

It would be very nice if Mr. Matthews could elaborate on the details ---Talking to medicare does not help as they just read something from a book and what they say is not clear--

Thanks,,,,,Ralph Edrich


An anonymous caregiver answered...

I agree, the info provided is much too basic. What if you wish to go to your own eye doctor but he is not a medicare provider? Is there a form which can be provided to the patient to fill out in order to receive the medicare allowance ?


Ask a question Ask a question | Add an answer Add an answer