(800) 973-1540

Am I responsible for my mother's medical bills after death?

My mother died in California and there was no probate. Do I have to pay her medical bills after death? Who is responsible for bills after death?

Answers
Barbara Repa, a Caring.com senior editor, is an attorney, a journalist specializing in aging issues, and the author of WillMaker, software enabling consumers to...

It is not likely that you will be legally responsible for your mother's final medical bill -- although the doctors and hospitals may attempt to collect from you.

In See also:
Winding Up Legal Affairs After a Death
general, you would be personal liable for your mother's debts only if:

• you agreed in advance to be personally responsible, such as by co-signing or guaranteeing a particular transaction
  • you are liable for the debts because of another legal relationship that results in a duty of support, such as you claim your mother as a dependent, or
  • your negligence caused the debt, which does not sound likely in this case.

The fact that there was no probate should not have any effect.

But because we’re talking about the law, we also have to talk about loopholes. There are some instances in which adult children may be held liable for a parent's debts at death if the parent is considered legally indigent and the child is not considered to be indigent.

Lately, there has been much confusion over these provisions, however, and many reported instances of doctor's and medical institutions harassing people for payment just because they can. Because of this, if you are being asked to pay the bills, it may be worth your while to have a lawyer eyeball the specifics of your situation and how the bills were charged and incurred.

If you're not in touch with an elder law lawyer you might want to begin a search at California’s LawHelp. This website also provides referrals to agencies that may provide free or low-cost legal help.

Alida-1 answered...

I had to get a lawyer, for mom's medical bills, and other stuff to be done. My responsibilies were done as POA, when she died. She had no estate, lawyer said. I guess it depends on the state where you are at, too. Here it takes a lot of time for the bills to finally come through, and you need patience. If your parent was on medicaid or medicare, you can bet, it is going to be a long time.

P.Ken witmer answered...

my mother passed away 2 month ago and the nursing home is billing me now for the ballance of the cost she was on Medicade & compensation am i now resposible for those cost she was only in this nursing home about 2 Month