What is life expectancy after a diagnosis of stage one COPD?

What is an average life expectancy after a diagnosis of stage one COPD?

Answers
Caring.com User - Leslie Kernisan, M.D.
Dr. Leslie Kernisan is a senior medical editor at Caring.com and a clinical instructor in the University of California, San Francisco, Division of Geriatrics....

Stage I COPD is also known as mild, or early, COPD. There can be quite a lot of variation in how quickly a person's COPD worsens, but if a person See also:
What is the life expectancy of someone with Alzheimer's?

See all 253 questions about COPD
stops smoking and gets good medical treatment, it usually takes years for COPD to progress to more advanced stages.

Because of this, the life expectancy of a person with Stage I COPD is mainly affected by other factors, such as age, other chronic illnesses, and overall health status.

In general, research studies have found that using stage of COPD by itself is not a very accurate way to predict life expectancy or mortality. Instead, doctors can make better predictions when they incorporate additional information; one popular model (known as BODE) assigns points based on FEV1, body-mass index, distance a person can walk in 6 minutes, and how short of breath the person usually feels.

Still, one group of researchers recently did try to address this very question of life expectancy by stage of COPD. They concluded that for otherwise healthy 65-year-old men with Stage I COPD, life expectancy ranges from 14 to 18 years, depending on whether the person was a current, former, or never smoker. For otherwise healthy 65-year-old women with Stage I COPD, life expectancy ranges from 17.2 to 20.5 years. These Stage 1 life expectancies are only very slightly shorter than for "normal" people without COPD.

katosboss answered...

Thanks however my original inquiry was about a 89 year old being diagnosed with stage II that also has anxiety and consequently hypertension. Plus what I'm really trying to find out is what to expect next since I'm trying to plan for the future. If it is unique for each individual then I'll be satisfied with that answer.

Ok, this is interesting but what about me, I am 42 in stage 2 and still am fighting to lessen and give up smoking...What would be my life expectation? 7 years because I'm in stage 2 and still not kicked the habit? Just thinking like that drives me insane... I'm afraid to go see a lung docter and have a X-ray, I am sooo darn afraid I have to leave my beautifull home on the second floor, leave the city I live in because of the poor air quality :-(

To the 42 yr. old...please try to quit smoking, no matter what! I am 52 and have been smoke free for 2 mos., only because I am seeing my beloved mother die before my eyes from COPD. She is 77 and was diagnosed about 5 yrs ago with COPD...no particular "stage". She continued to smoke for about a year until she could physically, no longer do so. Every two weeks she was at the doctor's office, getting steroids and antibiotics. If only she would have quit smoking at the time of diagnosis, she wouldn't already be at Stage 4. She is now at home, on oxygen around the clock, steroids every day, breathing treatments with a nebulizer every 2 hours, can only walk to her bathroom and back to bed and struggles for every breath. She is always in a state of panic, trying to breathe. It breaks my heart to see what she is going through, but I won't let her die in vain. It took a while to quit smoking, sine I was a smoker for 25 yrs., but I did it and you can too! Think of them as the enemy, instead of a comforting friend...they will kill you. :(

To the 42 yr old, I agree with the 52 yr old! I was diagnosed with COPD two months ago after years of shortness of breath, when I finally found out what it was, I was relieved. I also smoked for 25 yrs & I quit 6 wks ago. DO NOT BE AFRAID to go see a lung doctor. Fear will only make you stress out more than you already are. Trust God & go see a doctor for your sake. AND, quit smoking.......

Vergee answered...

My husband is in the severe stages of the copd. We have been married only 2 and a half years now. He was diagnosed 2 years ago after having an exacerbation after getting very sick and being stubborn not going to the doctor and letting it go. This again happened this January same senerio and over 20,000 in debt due to both hospitalizations . We ended up having to file bankrupsty on them this year. He ends up in the hospital EVERY January and my gut tells me this January will be NO different, He is still stubborn as hell and smoking about 1 pack per day. He is currently sick and has finished a dose of 5 day antibiotic's, and we shall see if the help. This time I got so sick and disgusted with listening to him cough , gag and struggle f or his breath have decided , I need to quit so that my daughter and grandchildren do not have to listen to the same. Last Saturday at 11:30 a.m. I put down what I am praying was my last cigarette. I keep praying he will do the same. If not he will die soon and it may very possibly cost him his marriage just due to he is a complete selfish ass, and thinks of no one except himself!!!

I am 70 have smoked for 61 years just found out I have stage 1 of COPD. I grew up in a family with lung disease, smokers and non-smokers, and was with my mother when she died of fibrosis of the lungs 11 years ago. You are young and quit smoking I wish I had years ago. I also worked in chemicals that were the main reason but the smoking has not helped. I hope you will go to the Dr. and also quit smoking.

ED. RN answered...

I am 62 years old and in stage 3 or two of COPD depending on which doctor you talk to. I quit smoking about 3 years ago but I kept going back to it because of the horrible addiction that it is. My lung doctor was able to put me on chantix all the time and not just for the recommended 3 months and that has kept me smoke free for a long time now. Also because I went to the lung doctor she wrote me a prescription for pulmonary rehab. I have never exercised on a regular basis until now. I couldn't believe how much better I felt and my breathing was easier with the rehab.I probably smoked for pretty close to 50 years. I know how horrible it is to try and quit. But do everything you can to do it.

arbycoffee answered...

I had had COPD since 06, quit smoking 10+ years before. I am on 6 liters air 24/7. Bottle air where ever I go. But still run a motel and tat shop. I think your outlook has more to do with life expectancy, than all of the rest, oh I am also over weight and 65 too. We are living for a reason, find your reason and you will live darn near forever.

PLEASE stop smoking ,my 45 year old friend has just died of copd ,he smoked since being a child to the day he died ,which was feb 11 ,he didn't help himself and should still be here

Family Tradition answered...

My brother just died from COPD Feb 28 he was in and out of the Hospitals just about every year for the past ten ,was a smoker quit four yeas ago. Smoked most of his life he was 64. Horrible way to go struggling for every breath. My mother passed away 30 years ago from it at 57 smoker would not listen to her doctor he gave her five years he was correct she smoked her whole life. Can be a slow agonizing death. I am 57 and have COPD smoked for 16 years 2-3 packs a day I quit 16 years ago this coming August. I am in stage two,the stage is not important,how you take care of your self is ,as COPD is not reversible only progresses . Only be afraid, if you do nothing and want to hurt the ones you love. Read up on it ,and do what your doc says, exercise diet can be a big help and slow this disease down . Be smart quit now. I find that being a born again Christian helps me through all things. I have other medical things that complicate COPD .Remember this affects your heart which affects other organs so get in shape and fight it and enjoy life and do not harp on it is there and we need to deal with it.

I'm 53 and I am in the worst stage of COPD.I have what is called full lung expansion.Although I was unable to quit smoking right away,I did some make drastic lifesyle changes.i quit using salt;I quit drinking milk and I started drinking almond milk with vanilla.It has been suggested to me that you we should eat an anti-inflammatory foods such as a mediterrenean foods and spices.I have vitals of that of a twenty year old but lungs of 102 Life is about quality not quantity but if you want some quantity put them cigarettes down and get to living unfortunately I learned the hard way I never ever thought I was going to die but I am because I did not listen to others .Step one learn your disease because the minute you quit smoking your chance of heart disease drops by 50%from smoking and there is alot more information like that on the web.So all in alll embrace all this information with an open mind and may the lord blless you abundantly so you don't use your frequent flyer miles sooner than you have to.New deal i'm checinkg out cocunut oil.God bless