(800) 973-1540

What is stage 4 dementia and how long does it last?

He forgets instantly and long term is not good but he is still social. He was told last week he can no longer drive, he was annoyed just because I could not answer a few questions who is he to tell me what does memory have to do with driving. I just let him blow off steam we will see if he goes back to the dr.? What does stage 4 mean? I think that is where he is.
For this answer:

Answers
Caring.com User - Joyce Simard
A social worker and geriatric consultant who specializes in dementia care, Joyce Simard is based in Land O' Lakes, Florida, and in Prague. She...

According to the Alzheimer's Association stage 4 is the following:

Moderate cognitive decline (Mild or early-stage Alzheimer's disease) At this point, a careful medical interview should be able to See also:
What Is Alzheimer's Disease
detect clear-cut symptoms in several areas: (Mild or early-stage Alzheimer's disease) At this point, a careful medical interview should be able to detect clear-cut symptoms in several areas:

• Forgetfulness of recent events
  • Impaired ability to perform challenging mental arithmetic "” for example, counting backward from 100 by 7s
  • Greater difficulty performing complex tasks, such as planning dinner for guests, paying bills or managing finances
  • Forgetfulness about one's own personal history
  • Becoming moody or withdrawn, especially in socially or mentally challenging situations

What is IMPORTANT at this stage is to help him LIVE with the symptoms he is showing. Some of the ways to do this is first , DO NOT ARGUE with him. He is aware that something is wrong and now has lost the ility to drive so his "manhood" is being threatened and he needs to be "right". So, try to give him as many compliments on what he still can do. For instance if he cannot drive could he hold a GPS for you and "help" you get places (even if you know the way) or sort some coupons to help you save money.

Write things down for him as reminders and support his frustration.
Let him know that you read something about some medication that can help his memory or get the doctors office to write him a letter telling him it is time for his physical. It is very important that he sees a physician that specializes in dementia so that other reversible causes are ruled out and that if it is early Alzheimer's disease he can get on some medication. And, join a support groups the association usually has groups for caregivers as well as people with early memory loss.

And hug him...as a matter of fact give him one from me!

dani dewf answered...

vollyball5, In my opinion, the best thing you can do to help yourself and your father "learn to LIVE with Alzheimer's" is to learn as much as possible about the disease. Educate yourself and your father about what is happening to him and why. Once I started to explain to my Mom how and why AD was affecting her brain functioning her whole demeanor changed. She quit accusing me of trying to "control her life" and became grateful for my help. She came to realize that there is a reason for the confused state she lives in and that the changes she is experiencing are NOT HER FAULT. I assure her that, if it were not for the Alzheimer's, she would not have the problems she is experiencing. I also let her know that she is not alone - that I will be there for her when she needs me, even if she doesn't recognize or want to acknowledge that need. Try to BE PATIENT, NON-ARGUMENTATIVE and LOVING. It won't always be easy but you can do it. Remind yourself that the problems your father is having are an uncontrollable aspect of a horrible disease and that, given a choice, he would not be experiencing them.

READ everything you can on caring.com. Join their "Steps & Stages" program. Join the Alzheimer's Association. Also, subscribe to the blog, The Alzheimer's Reading Room, at http://www.alzheimersreadingroom.com/2010/02/about-alzheimers-reading-room.html. This link tells what the blog is all about. In short: "The site focuses on Alzheimer's disease and the art of Alzheimer's caregiving." The blog contains more than 3,101 articles written by Bob DeMarco, caregiver to his 95 year-old mother who has Alzheimer's. The knowledge I have acquired through caring.com and the Alzheimer's Reading Room has made this Alzheimer's journey not nearly so frightening for both my dear mother and me.

Good luck and God bless.