(800) 973-1540

What will help relieve itchy skin in elderly mother?

What will help relieve itchy skin in elderly mother? My mother (age 84) has terribly itchy skin, over many parts of her body (legs, back, waist, etc.), during all seasons. We share dry skin, so I'm sure that's part of it, and she uses lotion, but nothing seems to help. What can we do to get her some relief?

Answers

Itchy skin is a tough problem, and one that I am familiar with myself. Here are my suggestions:

See also:
Bathing Your Mom: A Step-by-Step Guide
  • Reduce the amount of showers/ baths that she is taking. She probably only needs a full shower/ bath twice a week. The only parts that need daily cleansing are the privates, buttocks, and armpits.
  • When cleansing, use a gentle baby wash ONLY. No soap!
  • After the shower/ bath, apply a good lotion to the entire body. I would recommend Eucerin (for itchy skin), Lubriderm, or Aveeno (with oatmeal).

If you try my above suggestions, and they do not help, she should probably see a dermatologist for more individual suggestions.

mfetz answered...

My mother had the same thing, but hers was so bad that we went to the hospital, and unfortunately it turned out to be her kidneys, and she passed away. please check that out so that it if it is her problem you can get help sooner.

kymed answered...

Also, in between at home care visits from our at home care nurse, I would use adult wipes to freshen my step father up between bathing schedules. I found that the moist wipes were very handy and they are thick + disposable. They did not dry out his skin because they do not contain alcohol! You can save trips to the store + money if you buy them in bulk! The ones I ordered were from twin med direct...here is the link for those wipes: http://www.twinmeddirect.com/wipes-premoistened-soft-packs.htmla

RSBoivin answered...

The type of soap you use can make a big difference. Try Castile or olive oil soap, it is very gentle. Also any lotion that contains olive oil or lanolin will help.

Ask your doctor about it. Some uncontrollable itching can be related to thyroid problems, or bone marrow problems (polycythemia). Most itching isn't this serious, but a check-up is in order.