(800) 973-1540

Are there facilities that we can place my schizophrenic mother?

nancycrumb9205 asked...
My mother suffers from schizophrenia, and now has decided that she wants to leave my father and live on her own. However, she is unable to take care of herself, or all the medication she's required to take on a regular basis. Is there a safe place like an assisted living facility that she can go to? I'm not sure if she qualifies for such places.

Answers
Caring.com User - Nan Hayes
Nan Hayes is founder of MoveSeniors.com, the national resource network of Certified Relocation and Transition Specialists for seniors, and President of RightSized Living...

There is a good chance Assisted Living provides a good option for your mother, but much more information is required. Your mother’s choice for housing will require financial and medical See also:
How can you help calm dementia parent in nursing home?
assessments.

To learn more about your local resources, contact your county senior services organization, typically listed in the front of your local phone directory.

As you begin to address the specifics with your mother, you may also contract the services of a Care Manager.

Both can help provide local options and advice to he[p you get started.

You can also search for a list of local assisted living facilities. Make appointments and visit the communities to get a better understanding of services, assessment, medical and financial requirements for each.

My sister has suffered with Schizophrenia for over 30 years. She and my family went through hell trying to find a place for her where she would be safe. I am so happy there is a site like this for people to turn to, to have there questions read and answered with helpful suggestions. Our family did not have that. My sister now resides in a nursing home, under heavy medications. Thank God for Caring.com.

D S North answered...

Look at Dayspring Village in NorthEast florida www.dayspringvillage.org Our adult son is schizophrenic and lives there. We have been extremely pleased.