(800) 973-1540

Is Seroquel safe for an elderly dementia patient?

Answers
Ladislav Volicer, M.D., Ph.D., is recognized as an international expert on advanced dementia care. He is a courtesy full professor at the School of...

This is a difficult situation but I would not recommend adding Seroquel to her medications. It is difficult to find an effective dose without side-effects with it. If you are afraid of falling, I would try to eliminate Ativan, because it increases greatly the risk of falling. It would be better to try to deal with your mother's agitation by behavioral strategies, e.g., trying to keep her occupied. I wonder if she is getting her Aricept in the morning. If she gets it in the evening that may cause nightmare and disturb her sleep. I would recommend replacing Remeron by Trazodone given in the evening. It is also an antidepressant and it promotes sleep better than Remeron.

Ess answered...

I am so grateful for the expert answer from Dr. Volicer. Information from doctors who specialize in dementia is difficult to find. My mother's internist and psychiatrist are extrememly knowledgable and capable, but I sometimes feel they lack practical experience with the dementia patient. Many thanks for your time and advice. By the way, my mother takes 10 mg of Aricept, and we were advised to break it up, giving her 5 mg in the morning and 5 mg in the evening with dinner. I had read somewhere else that it should all be taken in the morning. We will try this, and I will suggest Trazodone as a replacement for Remeron to my mother's doctor. Thanks again.

ipoe47140 answered...

I have read to give the Aricept at night..His Dr says to give it in the morning..but he sleeps so late due to being up at night, that i can't give it in the morning usually.. This disease is so complex that i am not sure anyone knows what to do..My Husband takes Aricept, Namenda 10 MG each, blood pressure meds and plavix, and resperidone..I wonder about this combination..pharmacy doesn't say anything and Dr don't either..Neuro says that PCP is doing what he would do..but i read all these things about these antipsycotic drugs..................I am no Dr but sometimes i feel like i almost have to be..

CaregiverKatie answered...

I am a caregiver and would recommend Trazadone over Ambien, Resperidone or Seroquel. I have taken all three myself for sleep and Trazadone is by far the most effective and also helps with some problems associated with dementia and Alzheimer's. I would also HIGHLY recommend adding organic extra virgin coconut oil to the persons diet, working up to 4 teaspoons a day. This honestly works miracles with Alzheimer's and dementia. Google it and read about it, but trust me, it's amazing stuff. Also rubbed in skin folds, will get rid of yeast infections in a day or so! :)

The doctor is right on in his advice! It is soooooo very difficult to get the correct drug cocktail, and you don't want to sedate your loved one....'.although, many have to be sedated to protect themselves FROM themselves and others ....all of this could be avoided if one has a specialist in the geriatric field....specifically dealing with dementia.....