(800) 973-1540

As my father's guardian, am I responsible for his financial needs if he is unable to meet them?

1 answer | Last updated: Jan 14, 2012
abby asked...
As guardian over my father, am I responsible for his financial needs if he is unable to meet them?
For this comment:

Answers
Barbara Repa, a Caring.com senior editor, is an attorney, a journalist specializing in aging issues, and the author of Your Rights in...

Your father's debts will remain his debts.

In general, as legal guardian or conservator, you will be personal liable for debts you officially incur on his behalf only if:

• you agreed in advance to be personally responsible, such as by co-signing or guaranteeing a particular transaction
  • you are liable for the debts because of another legal relationship that results in a duty of support, such as you claim your father as a dependent
  • your negligence caused the debt, or
  • you acted beyond your legal authority as guardian or conservator in incurring the debt.