Is cognitive decline a normal effect of a stroke?

For this question:

Answers
Caring.com User - James Castle, M.D.

This type of compulsive behavior is not common after a stroke. Although I don't know the details of his full treatment, I am a bit suspicious that one of his See also:
Is there anything that will help relieve my dad's pain after his stroke?

See all 446 questions about Stroke
physicians started him on a "dopamine agonist" medication for his Parkinson's symptoms. I would check this with the Movement Disorder specialist. These medicines cause, what I call, a "Las Vegas" syndrome - whereby people partake in risky, compulsive behavior, such as hypersexuality, gambling, risk taking, spending, etc. If he is on one of those medicines, I would try to get him off it and on to an alternative such as Sinemet. Please talk to your doctor about that.

If he is not taking one of those medicines, I would recommend seeing a Psychiatrist and possibly starting on a low dose anti-psychotic medication to help take the edge off these compulsive behaviors.

hitinfuse2 answered...

I had a stroke dec 2003. mentally I think I am getting better but physically I am de same, although my parkinson's disease is getting worst I still walk with pain. I tried not to sleep more than 8 hrs a day. I used to work in the Medical Health Care, and so with my husband, so whatever I do, I think of the pros & cons before I do something. I live in a 2 story house,and I sleep in the 2nd floor, looking at it as an exercise for me. I know that every little thing that makes me move , helps.

merinda=las vegas, nv

jainnagraj answered...

It is very difficult to decide if the disease is psychological or neurological.If it is neurological then if it is Alzymer's,Parkinson's or Schizofernia or simple memory loss.Then again side effects of drugs.Interactions of drugs.Even doctors are confused many times.It seems there is no repair to brain cells.Will somebody throw more light on these issues.