Can bone and joint pain be a symptom of cancer or is it just bad arthritis?

When your bones and joints hurt so bad, to the point you can barely walk or move, could it be some kind of cancer or just a bad case of arthritis? Doctors can't seem to figure out the cause of this and it's been going on for six years.

Answers
LeBecky answered...

I have this problem every day. I'm only 54 and this started a few years ago. I knew I had arthritis in my back and pelvic area, but it seems to me that my whole body aches with pain , every day. I hate to bend or stoop. I can do very little in housework without resting, when I could used to clean my house in a few hours. I have questioned bone cancer, as my father died in 4/08 with a tumor on his spine that spread to all or most of his organs and into his bones. I'm to young to have all this crap. I wanted to enjoy my later years and go and do. I can't even walk around the block sometimes. Is very frustrating to be in this spot at this early age.

RPh answered...

Please get medical help. If you have ever had an MRI of your spine done, did you get to see the report itself? If so, did it state anything about "tarlov cysts" being present? (it would be an "incidental note" on the MRI report. These are NOT cancer, but check http://www.tarlovcyst.org and please see your MD, as my answer is informational only. Good Luck!!

LeBecky answered...

I just had an MRI a few weeks ago. I have arthritis throughout my whole back and joints even in some of my feet, arms, wrists, and well i guees just about everywhere. Most of my back is just bone on bone and we talked about surgery and then when i returned four days later he just prescibed a pain killer and muscle relaxer. The pain killer knocks me out , i take it at night and i felt better but groggy and maybe a little sick to my stomach. Then he wants me to do therepy and I have done that a million times. its is not the answer either. I want to have a fix of my back not just get addicted to the pain killers and live like i"m in the time zone. I don't think this is the answer. Ig surgery could fix it you:'d think they would do it so i could like a somewhat normal life. I am tired of living like this and want to do something that will give me back some of my life cause i have none right now. I am depressed every day and angry for being in the situation i am in. There is no one to take care of me when i do need help so things go undone for sometime. I am sick of the itis brothers and want an answer from a doctor that will help me.

doris in nh answered...

i was diagnosed with rhumatoid athritis and secondary sgjrons syndrome two years ago. it started 5 years before that with my first symptoms being achy joints and just feeling blah as if i had the flu. as the years went on it has gotton worse and i also have been in such pain that you wonder sometimes if it is bone cancer because athritis couldnt possibly feel this bad! well im here to tell you and im sure there are alot of other people with RA that yes it can be pretty painful and make you feel pretty crappy at times. i am only 43 and have often felt bad for myself until i remind myself there are innocent children that have RA and that is definetly not fair!!!

I had non stop deep joint pain in both my knees. GP, rhumatoid specialist and osteo doctors all said it was a virus. I asked to be tested for several diseases that included deep joint pain, loss of weight, low grade constant fever, night sweats. Turned out 3 doctors grossly misdiagnosed me. I had stage one lung cancer. I took my records to another medical group and he said the tumor in my lower right lung had grown to a point where it was pressing on nerves to my knees and as soon as I had lung surgery the pain would go away and it did. That was in 1995 and knock on wood, I've been cancer free ever since.

Woman in pain. :'( answered...

I have the same problem. I am 42 years old and i dont have a normal life. I was an active woan did my house work in a flash. But now i cant get up from my bed. ALL my body hurts. My waist is KILLING me. I a, worst than an old person. I cry every morning because i dont know whats wrong. And with no insurance it stinks. I cant work any more. So if someone finds a cure please help.. Hurting person here. :'(

I am only 16 and have RA. If i could imagine what a mild version of cancer would feel like i do believe it would feel similar. Its rather difficult for me to do anything. I cant even open a water bottle or chew hard foods because it is worse in my hands and jaw. But I think the worst symptom is the fatigue. I always feel like i have no energy at all.

Hi, I too have Been suffering with chronic pain in what felt like joints, shoulder pain, elbow pain, pain in knees, ankles, hips, wrists fingers and hands, lower to mid back pain. Pain in chest. I have been diagnosed as having chronic fibromyalgia. By 3 consultant rheumatologists. Three years later and to present date. I am seeing another, he sent me for chest X-Ray, it has shown a lung nodule. I am now awaiting a scan as an urgent matter. I am worried about the out come. Do not ever ignore any kind of joint pain or bone pain. Every possible cause should be ruled out before being labeled as having Fibromyalgia. Do not be fobbed off with it like I did.