Will Medicaid or Medicare pay for indigent health care?

2 answers | Last updated: Apr 10, 2014
A fellow caregiver asked...
Will Medicaid or Medicare pay for my indigent father's health care and nursing home bills?

Caring.com User - Joseph L.  Matthews
Caring.com Expert
Joseph L. Matthews is a Caring.com Expert, an attorney, and the author of Long-Term Care: How to Plan & Pay for It and...
75% helpful

The short answer is, Medicare won’t but Medicaid will.

Medicare Part A only pays a limited amount for nursing facility care for a short period, and only under special See also:
Does Medicare pay for assisted living care?
circumstances. Medicare covers only medical care in a skilled nursing facility following a minimum three-day hospital stay, and only for as long as the patient needs daily skilled medical care or therapy. It does not cover what’s called “custodial care,” meaning long-term residence in a nursing home.

If your father qualifies for Medicaid, on the other hand, it can cover the full cost of his nursing home bills. (Be aware, though, that many nursing facilities have only a limited number of beds for Medicaid-pay residents.) Medicaid can keep paying for as long as he lives in a nursing facility. To qualify for Medicaid, he must have a very low income and few assets. You can find specific information about Medicaid eligibility and nursing home coverage for your father's state online at the Medicaid/Medicare section of the federal government's "govbenefits" web site.


More Answers
33% helpful
oilsunandsurf4me@yah answered...

my roomate has been informed he has active hep. c and surrosise of the liver. he has had a tube incerted in his abdomen for draining by cathter and cannot do this by himself i make and take him to doctors appt. grocerey store whereever he needs to go. he has been notifed hes got 6 months to live and i basiclly believe in miricals and wont give in that easy. i have a five yr old daughter and am currently on welfare. my plans for school and a job have more or less been put on the back burner, but i have been told by friends that i can get paid for my services. my roomate his brother his brothers son myself and my daughter currently share a 3 bedroom apt. my daughter and i have a makeshift room in the living room the roomate with cancer of the liver has not worked and is now on ssi and we also finally got medical pushed threw. ive been handeling all his appt and paperwork because he is very confused and not doing so well fast. if it is possible to get paid for careing for my roomate it would really help my daughter and sewlf out alot we live in oceanside california


Ask a question Ask a question | Add an answer Add an answer