(800) 973-1540

How can I find a Parkinson's support group?

Karan asked...
I need a "Parkinson's support group" for care-giving family members. My mother is rapidly approaching advanced Parkinson's disease and I need some personal support with all of it! I Was told that hospice can help but am unable to find a support group in Healdsburg, Calfornia. Can you direct me?

Answers
Paula Spencer Scott, contributing editor, is the author of Surviving Alzheimer's. A Met Life Foundation Journalists in Aging fellow, she writes extensively about health...

You're right that a support group can help provide practical and moral support. The American Parkinson's Disease Association offers a directory to its local chapters at its website www.apdaparkinson.org, and these chapters can give you leads to local groups -- and will definitely have other resources to share. Also check with your local area agency on aging, your mom's doctor, or the major hospitals in your area. Hospice programs typically are geared more to end-of-life support than chronic disease support.

Wellspouse answered...

For spouses who are caring for a husband, wife or partner with Parkinson's (or any other chronic illness and/or disability) you can get peer support, from those who have "been there done that" here: Well Spouse Association: http://wellspouse.org.

pnschmidt answered...

The National Parkinson Foundation (NPF), http://www.parkinson.org, has a large array of local chapters and support groups, all listed on their web site. While the APDA offers a great service, NPF has support groups linked directly from the home page (under "Find Resources" at the top of the page) and has many more local chapters (for example, there are four NPF chapters in California to APDA's one). Both NPF and APDA have a greater focus on care and caregivers than other Parkinson's disease-focused organizations.

chai answered...

Hi! I know as a caregiver for my husband who has Parkinson's for fifteen years how difficult it is to find someone to watch your spouse while you go to a support group. As a result, I was wondering if there are any "penpals" who would be interested in sharing their care giving experiences with me. My e-mail address is f2teach@aol.com