(800) 973-1540

Should my 96 year old mother get the pneumonia vaccine?

Zara asked...
I am considering putting my 96 year old Mother in Assisted Living Memory Care. Does she need a pneumonia vaccine before she enters? I don't know if she has ever had one. She is very frail. I have read some elders have a bad reaction to this vaccine and sometimes even result in death. I would appreciate any responses, pro and con, anyone has on this vaccine. Thank you.

Answers

Officially, the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends that pneumonia vaccine be made available to protect against pneumonia in all people over 65 years old, even if they See also:
How to Watch Out for Someone's Best Interests in the Hospital

See all 419 questions about General Health
suffer from diseases that weaken the immune system.

Regarding your statement about a "bad reaction" from this vaccine, it has been my experience that this shot is well tolerated in most people. I work in a long term care facility, where this vaccine is given to almost every patient we have, and I have only seen one allergic reaction to it in all my years of practice (I have been here 11 years). Also, all of my patients are frail, very elderly, and above the age of 85. Generally, most people experience some soreness, redness or swelling at the injection site, but this will go away in a few days. Only a handful of people get fever, general muscle pain, or a sore lump at the place the vaccine was given. Hope this helps!

Zara answered...

Thanks so much Jennifer. I appreciate your taking the time to answer my question.

Does your facility also recommend and give the flu vaccine along with the pneumonia vaccine as well?

You say there were patients who did not get the vaccine. Do you know what they chose not to get one?

Has anyone in your facility come down with pneumonia?

Was the allergic reaction you mention Life threatening?

Sorry for so many questions. My Mom is going to assisted living on Thursday, and I am feeling uneasy about the whole thing. She has lived with us for a long time, and we are very close. I hope all goes well and she will adjust, as well as myself. Ha!

Z

My Mom had dementia with most of the traits of advanced Alzheimers. She was in a nursing home within a hospital. She was not given a pneumonia or flu shot. She died not from the Alzheimers but from Pneumonia. That shot might have prevented it. She was in her 80's.

Zara answered...

Anonymous:

I am very sorry to hear about your Mother.

Since I wrote my question, I did go ahead and get the Pneumonia shot for my Mother.

Thank you so much for answering my question.